Auction Hijacked Jefferies Maccann G Tuned Duet

squeezora

I had my account hijacked by a phishing site too. It can look very real, but now I know to be extra careful.

In my case the phisher ran an add for motorcycle parts, fortunately it was actaully caught by Ebay and not me. I had to talk to an eBay representative on the phone to confirm my identity.

I also immediately changed all passwords on Paypal, Ebay, and my bank account.

I don't see why these individuals can't be caught, or why "spyware" isn't illegal yet

Squeezora:

I just want to mention that I never answer message from web sites that come across as E-mail. I ALWAYS go to the web site itself and read the messages there. If the message is not waiting for me, it was never sent by that particular authority.

I think this is the only way to truly avoid the scammers.

Best of luck with the auction! Ed.

Squeezora:

I just want to mention that I never answer message from web sites that come across as E-mail. I ALWAYS go to the web site itself and read the messages there. If the message is not waiting for me, it was never sent by that particular authority.

I think this is the only way to truly avoid the scammers.

Best of luck with the auction! Ed.

Ed, I think the difference here is that Julitte went through the EBay site but responded to a question which directed her to the fake site.

Ed, I think the difference here is that Julitte went through the EBay site but responded to a question which directed her to the fake site.

You'd need a qualification in computer security to be able to avoid all the many and various approaches being taken to separating you from your money these days.

I am personally unhappy about the close linking between ebay and paypal. I am sure that most people use the same password for both services - this is very unwise. Also, those people who have registered a credit card with paypal, rather than operating periodic cash transfers to their paypal acocunts, potentially risk someone breaking into their paypal account and having unfettered access to their VISA/MASTERCARD/whatever.

Tom

Edited by Tom C

I am personally unhappy about the close linking between ebay and paypal. I am sure that most people use the same password for both services - this is very unwise. Also, those people who have registered a credit card with paypal, rather than operating periodic cash transfers to their paypal acocunts, potentially risk someone breaking into their paypal account and having unfettered access to their VISA/MASTERCARD/whatever.

Tom

I'd agree with you there. It is almost impossible to get hold of Paypal and I have found their response process to any issues you may have to be pathetic.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Juliette,

I know this will be small consolation, but I fell for an identical scam a couple of weeks ago. Having had a lot of trouble with a cloned listing a while back, I was only too ready to believe the warning of a repeat occurrence, so, like you, I went to the fake page and entered my password. (I had also just got back from a party, so maybe wasn't thinking quite as clearly as normal!)

Anyway. I realised the potential consequences almost immediately, but, hoping for the best, went to bed. Bad mistake. By the next morning the scammer had retracted 5 bids and contacted several bidders offering to sell direct. Not surprisingly, this spooked them somewhat. Two of them contacted me, and I was able to reassure one of them by sending him a picture of the box (in a pose specified by him). Still, several others dropped out, and I ended up selling my New Model Lachenal for well under its market value. Like you, I was unable to contact those bidders who didn't contact me, because eBay blocks such contact "for security reasons". Still, a valuable lesson learned - and the moral of the tale is, I guess, don't drive a computer when you've had a drink!

Regards,

Davidjava script:emoticon('%3C_%3C',%20'smid_1')