Anyone For Sidmouth?

As per the title. If enough of us are going it might be nice to have a jar or two somewhere and compare boxes.

We'll be there all week, mostly in the Radway, I guess, but hoping to do a little more singing than in recent years.

Chris

We'll be there all week, mostly in the Radway

Do they now open for 24 hours? Sounds a bit like "Open all Hours".

Sadly, I will not make it this year, but will be sending a couple of friends along instead. My friend Graham Dixon (6 feet 3 inches, late forties, bearded) will be there with his wife Corinne. Brave lad, he is planning to ride from Croydon to Winchester (overnight stop with sister-in-law) then on to Swanage. I think that he is then cheating, and using the car!

Anyway, I'll tell him how to find the Radway, and who to look out for. I'll get him to buy you a beer, as he's coming around on Tuesday to consult my maps for route-planning. This is not as good as an Anglo for your belated Birthday present, but then you can't drink an Anglo! :D

Regards,

Peter.

We'll be there all week, mostly in the Radway, I guess,

Chris

Lucky you. I think that week long session at the Radway has to have been about the most fun I've ever had playing tunes. I was there 10? years ago like a pig in mud. Is Tuesday still saxophone day? Are Irish tunes still met with polite but stoney silence?

Is Tuesday still saxophone day? Are Irish tunes still met with polite but stoney silence?

We've been going since 1999, when I proudly marched in with my brand new (square) Herrington, which I got exactly 7 years ago to the day. Saxophone day was still going then but has gradually faded away. Irish tunes are still, shall we say, played elsewhere. (Historical note, this prohibition apparently arose in self-defence after a group of "Irish" players tried to change the Radway sessions into an Irish only session).

There are other traditionns appearing, such as the end of February Reunion, which includes a concert and ceilidh in the Arena (which of course isn't there in February, but we have powerful imaginations). If you're in the UK around that time, Jody, put it in your diary.

Chris

I'll be at Sidmouth all week, stewarding at the Bulverton marquee. I'll pop in to the Radway with my Crane, but will probably spend more time playing guitar in the Irish session or generally having a great time.

Catch you next week!

(Edited for seppling)

Edited by Cream-T

I am new to Sidmouth this year and still new to the English concertina - Lots of things booked but I am sure we have some 'free' time so will try and find my way to the Radway.

Hi,

I have to say the photo in your profile of you playing on the beach is really atnmospheric. Look forward to seeing you.

Chris

Chris

I met you briefly in the Radway last year,I will be there again this year. Not with an Anglo this time, but with a Maccann Duet. Mind you im not that proficient on it as yet - still practicing. See you then.

David.

Irish tunes are still, shall we say, played elsewhere. (Historical note, this prohibition apparently arose in self-defence after a group of "Irish" players tried to change the Radway sessions into an Irish only session).

Hey - that was just my little bro and his mates having fun (youthful enthusiasm, and all that, IIRC :)

I have to say the photo in your profile of you playing on the beach is really atnmospheric. Look forward to seeing you.

Chris

Thanks Chris - it was taken on the Isle of Arran in May this year. But can you tell me why it has come out so big on the profile - was going to post a couple of shots but got a bit confused when this one appeared taking up more than the screen. Also don't let the photo fool you - I was playing whilst this was taken (Flowers of the Forest - I think) but I am still very much at the beginner stage. Might bring my box to the pub but might just turn up with braver OH and his bouzouki to test the water first :)

I'm meeting Woody for a beer in The Bedford on Saturday evening before (if memory serves correct) Mary Humphreys & Anahata, and I'm still debating whether to bring the box to the Radway for my first public session participation. Don't forget there's also the WCCP workshops as well.

I'm meeting Woody for a beer in The Bedford on Saturday evening before (if memory serves correct) Mary Humphreys & Anahata, and I'm still debating whether to bring the box to the Radway for my first public session participation. Don't forget there's also the WCCP workshops as well.

Do bring Woody down the Radway. I shall try to get to the WCCP sessions at least once.

Chris

Do bring Woody down the Radway.

Hi Chris,

Well, sitting here, reading this thread, I am getting quite envious. Still, if things turn out as planned, I will be sending friends, with beer money, to find you in the Radway!

Regards,

Peter.

Well, sitting here, reading this thread, I am getting quite envious.

Well, you know what to do about that. Don't let it fester, get peddling. It would be my pleasure to buy you a pint back!

Chris

Well, maybe next year. I've sent Graham your photo, to make sure that he doesn't have to buy everyone in the Radway a pint. I know that this will disappoint other Forum members who had planned to go there and say "my name's Chris Timson, buy me a pint!", but I do have a limited budget (just paid for the last third of my Jeffries Duet, today).

If Flos is there, make sure that he plays "Lichfield Tattoo".

Regards,

Peter.