Skype Based Audio Conferencing For Internet Session?

Hi y'all,

Anyone had any experience using recent versions of Skype conferencing to have an online realtime session?

I'm going to install it tonight on my system, anyone interested in doing some testing? I believe Skype supports multi-user conference of up to 4 or 5 people, all for free to Skype users.

Cheers,

Michael

Yesterday I had a couple of test Skype calls with players from other sites where we tested both the frequency response and latency.

Skype claims that their audio codec supports frequencies up to 7000 hz, and the range of a whistle, from D5 to D7 is from 523 to 1975 Hz, so you'd think it would work fine, but there are problems with some atonal distortion in the higher frequencies. The Skype audio codec must be optimized really for voice and while it supports higher frequencies, I'm guessing that its some kind of subband encoder and doesn't allocate many bits in the higher frequency bands, just enough to help with the sibilants in speech.

Interestingly, guitar and the first octave of uilleann pipes seem quite good, concertina not too bad but some distortion in the second octave. Speech quality is really amazing, better than landline I think.

Latency was variable and sometimes excessive so online sessions aren't going to work very well, but certainly distance learning and online lessons where players take turns should work just fine.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in a test Skype tune swap , give me a call, Skype id is:

seisiuneer

Cheers,

Michael

:D We've just downloaded Skype on our computer and the speech quality is superb, chatting to my brother-in-law in Australia was much clearer than on the ordinary phone. It would be interesting to see how an online session would work.

Not with Skype, but I've tried Yahoo and Paltalk voice chat, works fine. It's not possible to actually play together, though, due to time delay. I'm not sure it's actually possible to overcome the problem with time delay.