Regrets?

I was looking on Ebay and saw this listing and after reading the description it made me feel a bit sad (let me hear you all say "aahhhh"). I've been doing family history research for years but I only have a couple of items that belonged to my grandparents let alone older things. I think that if I were selling something so intimately linked to an ancestor I'd certainly regret it later.

That, in a round-about way, brings me to my question. Have you ever sold a Concertina thinking it was a good deal at the time and then later regretted your decision?

- W

You've seen the Jeffries duet discussion going on at the moment have you? Where we totally confuse a poor chap facing exactly this crisis moment?

I'd not seen that discussion (it had the word 'Duet' in the title so how could it have any interest for me :D ). Interesting discussion though hopefully this one will have fewer bad jokes!

- W

Have you ever sold a Concertina thinking it was a good deal at the time and then later regretted your decision?

Fortunately not. I've had/sold some top quality instruments over the years, but I've made sure that they have all gone to good homes, where they are appreciated and played regularly. I see one instrument, a 46 key MacCann Duet on a regular basis, as it is played by my friend and musical partner, Mike Lambert. I'm amazed how much good, traditional, music he can make on an instrument which, theoretically, has severe limitations.

If I sold my original 36 key Wheatstone, then I would have regrets, (1) it is a first rate instrument, (2) we have been through a lot together (not quite, "in the trenches", although sometimes it feels like it).

Regards,

Peter.

I think that my main regret is not having discovered the concertina earlier. I was 29 when I started playing having never managed to get on with any instrument previously. Looking at young musicians nowadays it makes me wonder what I would be able to play now if I'd started earlier.

Robin Madge

I agree my main regret is not starting the Concertina, and indeed Irish Music years before I did.. I could be much better now :). I could have also picked up a Jefferies or a Wheatstone before the prices got where they are now.

--

Bill

I agree my main regret is not starting the Concertina, and indeed Irish Music years before I did.. I could be much better now :). I could have also picked up a Jefferies or a Wheatstone before the prices got where they are now.

--

Bill

I entirely concur. I thought about getting a concertina for many years before I actually went about it. Wish I had moved on the inclination earlier. But I also believe that things occur for a reason and that perhaps not taking it up earlier was for the best. Still, I wish I was a better player at this time in my life. Life is short and you don't want to put off dreams too long, though you still have to balance them with responsibilities. No regrets with my choice now though.

--

Bill

I entirely concur. I thought about getting a concertina for many years before I actually went about it. Wish I had moved on the inclination earlier. But I also believe that things occur for a reason and that perhaps not taking it up earlier was for the best. Still, I wish I was a better player at this time in my life. Life is short and you don't want to put off dreams too long, though you still have to balance them with responsibilities. No regrets with my choice now though.

I'm sure most of us wish we had started to play earlier in life (except the lucky few who grew up in concertina families). I too wish I had started 20 years ago, but then again I wish I had started wood carving earlier and practised spin bowling more diligently. I might have been the next Barbara Hepworth or Shane Warne. Apologies to American c.netters - substitute Warne for Joe DiMaggio. The important thing is that we have started and have (hopefully) years ahead of us to enjoy playing.

Edited by Nigel

....julia clifford offered to teach me the fiddle, but i was too busy with the english concertina and folk club gigs.

The drawbacks of playing music for a living must include finding time to work on new material, and learning to play new instruments.

absolutely i remember once doing twenty two gigs in a month , the last thing i wanted to do was pick up a concertina,

Sounds like you are now enjoying your music a lot more. Whilst performing is important, I guess that this should really come second, behind enjoyment (ignoring financial constraints, of course).

Regards,

Peter.