Metal Vs Wooden Ends

I'm looking to upgrade to a new concertina. Currently playing a 30-key C/G Stagi, which I plan to keep as a spare, a loaner, and for taking "into the wild". There are a number of makes I am considering that are within my price range. My questions have to do with whether to order one with wooden ends or metal ends. I would like the opinions of those who've owned or had the opportunity to play both. I've read that metal ends make the sound is louder and "brighter" and I've also read that the difference in sound is insignificant to some. Which opinion is most true?

I enjoy learning mostly Irish tunes (though I try almost any genre). I don't sing much with a C/G as the range is not optimal for me. I doubt if I'll ever play in a session, so I'm mainly a solo player (maybe I'm wrong about that, but I know of no informal sessions in my area) with whomever I can con into being a captive audience. Does my expected use of the concertina have any relevance to which type of end I should order?

Also, how are the stainless steel ends vs the German silver ends in terms of sound quality, looks & aesthetics, and maintenance?

I had always assumed I would go for an entirely wooden box as I like the rich, warm look of well-finished hardwoods. But many of the metal-ended boxes are handsome too. So, what factors should I be considering in my choice? Do any of you have one type, but wish they had purchased the other type? If so, why?

Appreciate whatever feedback you guys can provide. Thanks.

Ah the classic conundrum... Actually, the biggest reason to prefer wood over metal... is that you don't need to polish the wood to keep it looking decent :). The german silver does require a fair bit of polishing to keep it looking its best and the stainless while it doesnt tarnish, also needs some polishing to keep it looking clean. Overall though, unless you have already decided on a make, I would be more concerned with that than with what end materials are made of. You didn't tell us which concertinas you were considering, but obviously certain makers only offer one or the other. In general I would say that in choosing between makes, whether they offer a wooden or a metal grill is among the least important considerations. I personally would be looking at the action of the instrument, and the overall tone (the effect of metal is a little brighter, wood is a little sweeter but the differences are generally fairly subtle and only really noticable when you have two concertinas that are otherwise similar next to each other). Overall, for Irish Music I would say that button action is very important to get the best performance out an instrument. The best button action I have tried out extensively so far is the one in my Kensington Concertina.. there is just enough resistence to let me know I am pressing the button and to make a good stacato triplet. Likewise the Edgley is very good but its button action is lighter so often the button bottems out before I am fully aware of hanving made contact.

Ok, I am rambling on based on my own limited experience about alot of stuff that you didn't ask about... long and short, there is a difference between and wood and metal, but overall, I would not let the difference dictate my choice of makes. Only if the maker I settled on offered a choice would I start to worry about it.

--

Bill

I'm looking to upgrade to a new concertina. Currently playing a 30-key C/G Stagi, which I plan to keep as a spare, a loaner, and for taking "into the wild". There are a number of makes I am considering that are within my price range. My questions have to do with whether to order one with wooden ends or metal ends. I would like the opinions of those who've owned or had the opportunity to play both. I've read that metal ends make the sound is louder and "brighter" and I've also read that the difference in sound is insignificant to some. Which opinion is most true?

I enjoy learning mostly Irish tunes (though I try almost any genre). I don't sing much with a C/G as the range is not optimal for me. I doubt if I'll ever play in a session, so I'm mainly a solo player (maybe I'm wrong about that, but I know of no informal sessions in my area) with whomever I can con into being a captive audience. Does my expected use of the concertina have any relevance to which type of end I should order?

Also, how are the stainless steel ends vs the German silver ends in terms of sound quality, looks & aesthetics, and maintenance?

I had always assumed I would go for an entirely wooden box as I like the rich, warm look of well-finished hardwoods. But many of the metal-ended boxes are handsome too. So, what factors should I be considering in my choice? Do any of you have one type, but wish they had purchased the other type? If so, why?

Appreciate whatever feedback you guys can provide. Thanks.

I play a Lachenal Edeophone with ebony ends. I've been told that Edeophones with metal ends have a piercing sound that can be disconcerting. Perhaps this is specific to the Edeophone, but I would assume that wooden ends on any concertina would have an attenuating effect. Mike

Edited by michaelpier

Does my expected use of the concertina have any relevance to which type of end I should order?

What has relevance is your personal taste, but you haven't told us what that is.

I had always assumed I would go for an entirely wooden box as I like the rich, warm look of well-finished hardwoods.

What about the sound? Do you personally have any preferences as to the sound? Soft vs. loud? "Rich and mellow" vs. "bright" or "sharp"?

What might help us to help you is if you could tell us what sort of changes in sound from your current Stagi you would like your new box to have.

It's true that in general metal-ended boxes have a "brighter" sound than wooden-ended ones, but with variation among individual instruments I'd say there's plenty of overlap. And a lot depends on how you play the instrument. A good player can deliberately make a wooden-ended instrument sound "brash" or a metal-ended one "gentle".

And there's much more to it than the material the ends are made of. The distinctive Jeffries sound is attributed to the reeds, whether the ends are metal or wood.

Your best bet is to try different instruments and find one that looks and feels "right" to you. If you're not in a location where that's possible, the next best thing should be to listen to sound files of different instruments. Some makers have sound files on their web sites. Other examples can be found on Henk's tune links page. If you find something there that you like but there isn't enough identifying information, post a request here for more details. Most likely the person who did the recording will be happy to fill you in.

I appreciate the feedback. I haven't had the opportunity to play another other instruments yet, but I will get a chance to try one of the Morse concertinas from the Button Box soon, maybe today even. My tastes tend toward the "rich and mellow" vs "bright" or "sharp", and I'm glad to read that no matter what type of end material, one can learn to make it sound "brash" or "gentle" as the tune requires. So if all other important items, like the internal mechanism and action are similar, it may come down to the beauty and craftsmanship of the instrument in itself. This is not the most important facet of purchasing an instrument to me, but its not the least important either. I am looking at purchasing a good quality concertina with accordion reeds.

One item no one has mentioned is the difference between stainless steel ends and German silver ends. I've never personally inspected either and probably won't have the opportunity in the near future. Any difference in sound quality between these two materials? Are they alike in looks? Does the stainless steel look more "industrial" than the more traditional looks of the German silver? It appears that way to me on some pictures I've seen, but I can't be sure from the picture. From what I've read I gather the stainless steel is easier to maintain. Are metal ends ever made in using any other material?

From what I've read I gather the stainless steel is easier to maintain.
Depends upon what you consider "maintainance" to be. I prefer not to have to clean and polish my concertina ends continually, and most SS ones I've come across are very highly polished which tends to make even the slightest fingerprint a prodominant "feature".
Are metal ends ever made in using any other material?
I've rarely seen some with plain brass (alloy?) though chrome plated and nickel plated brass is fairly common. My favorite metal ends tends to be the solid German silver as it has a warmer cast to it and is usually slightly matte (making fingerprints less noticable).

I've owned a concertina with stainless steel ends (which I've now sold) and now own one with german silver ends. I've never polished either, so I guess from my perspective they are both easy to maintain. The stainless stays shinny and new looking, the german silver just gradually goes a sort of dull grey colour.

Stainless steel is very practical and is a harder material (to cut and polish) than german silver. I'm not sure what your definition of "industrial" is so I can't comment on that. The best thing to do is have a look at the concertinas with stainless ends and make your own judgment. I believe the concertina that Geoffrey Crabb recently made has wonderful stainless steel ends. Also Frank Edgley uses stainless steel, maybe he will post some photos of his new ends which I believe are now laser cut.

Dave

ah Chris,i thought baffles made the concertina quieter not more mellow

Over the years I have added baffles to a number of concertinas; indeed the article that Bob Gaskins wrote is, as he freely acknowledges, based on my work. So I do know whereof I speak. Baffles have a small impact on volume and a large impact on tone. Selah.

Chris

I've rarely seen some with plain brass (alloy?) though chrome plated and nickel plated brass is fairly common.

And I've seen a couple with gold-plated ends. But I wouldn't expect that in the price range you seem to be considering. :D

Edited by JimLucas

o k,chris so in your opinion,you think leather is the most effective baffle to alter tone,or wood, or is there another material that is more effective

Now that I can't answer, because so far I have only used leather. This is because of its other qualities of being easy to work while remaining strong. Danny Chapman has made external baffles of wood that clip on the ends of his concertina. Though somewhat odd-looking they are effective. You should be able to find pictures of them on the forum if you search.

I always fit baffles one end at a time and play the concertina halfway through the job, in order to listen to the diference in tonal quality. It's a clear demonstration of the effectiveness of baffles in modifying the tone.

Chris

I've rarely seen some with plain brass (alloy?) though chrome plated and nickel plated brass is fairly common.

And I've seen a couple with gold-plated ends. But I wouldn't expect that in the price range you seem to be considering. :D

I think I've seen the gold plated ones on the Wakker website. They were beautiful to behold. I'll be ordering one of those right after I win the lottery or after I reach the pearly gates. Concertinas and Irish harps should make a heavenly sound. Seriously, thanks for the all the opinions and experiences that have been expressed so far. They have helped me decide to concentrate on a wooden-ended Anglo. As I doubt I will ever spend much time as a sessions player, I don't think I need an overly loud instrument. Also, wood, with proper care, should need no buffing or wiping off of fingerprints to maintain its original appearance. Stainless steel may last decades (or centuries) longer than the wood, but as for daily use, wood seems more practical. So I'll be looking for wooden, accordion-reeded box that has a warm sound, but can be played relatively loudly (for wood) to cover most of my anticipated uses. I'll be looking for opportunities to try several.