Hi,

The last weeks I've been browsing through this forum. A little surprised about this lively group of concertina players. I might be time to introduce myself.

I'm Johan Verbeek and play the Anglo Concertina for four years now, and I must say the addiction becomes worse and worse. I live in Utrecht (Thats in the Netherlands). There aren't many concertina-player around here. The few musicians I know here that own a concertina see it more like a funny gadget along their harmonica.

I ended up with the dutch demonstration folkdancegroup Pieremachochel.

My concertina was for the most of the dancers the first concertina they saw. The fact that no one had any clue what to expect of a concertina within dutch folkmusic gave me a lot of freedom to sort things out.

I enjoyed that very much, and as a matter of fact, still do.

Besides pieremachochel I play with our new group ' De baviaen van schurhoff" along with a hurdy gurdy/harmonica player and a violin-player. With that trio we play at the socalled balfolk's dance-happenings which are becoming increasingly popular throughout the country

I play on a Wakker/Geuns Anglo, thats the one with the modified accordion reeds. The sound was a little to sharp for my ears, so I put pieces of felt in the ends. This did cut off the sharp ends of the sound.

In order to experiment with arrangements and things like that I use a Tascam Pocketstudio 5 (Mp3 4track recorder) and my guitars.

Something like this

Ballet Snijders

5/4 Waltz

Nije Mazurka

Boeren Schots

Jubilaris

It feels good to have found this group of concertina enthousiasts

Johan

Sadly can't listen to the tunes right now as I'm at work. I will tonight. You might like to look up the postings of Henk van Aalten, one of our more active members who is from Arnhem and also plays an anglo. Henk's been a bit quiet the last couple of days, but I'm sure he will speak for himself soon.

Chris

Hi Johan,

Welcome. I've just searched on Google, and found this link:

http://www.themorrisring.org/Sides/IRMM/index.html

No doubt you know the Utrecht Morris Men's team quite well. I met them back in 1995 (Easter) on the Hong Kong Morris Men's tour of the Loire Valley. I was with North Wood Morris Men (Croydon), and the fourth team was Kettlebridge Clog (Kent). A good time was had by all.

Regards,

Peter.

Johan, I really enjoyed your tunes. The music has a nice bouncy beat and you play them very well. It makes me believe there is a chance that someday I may be able to play klezmer music :)

Are you self taught? Did you do the music arrangements too? Very impressive to me as a beginner. If you get a chance you should try to contact Henk van Aalten and get them posted on the C.net recorded tunes page.

-jeff

Hi & welcome Johan,

I liked your tunes.

Wakker/Geuns Anglo, thats the one with the modified accordion reeds. The sound was a little to sharp for my ears

Is that with Wooden or Metal ends?

- Woody

]

"Let me guess: wooden?"

"Because?"

It was my observation that Wakker's instruments have nasal qualities and the tone of them is not warm, but rather sharp. To be a session instrument, I guess. So Wakker's concertinas would benefit from metal ends.

Will sound richer and more cheerful.

Not to everybody's liking, I understand.

]

"Because?"

It was my observation that Wakker's instruments have nasal qualities and the tone of them is not warm, but rather sharp. To be a session instrument, I guess. So Wakker's concertinas would benefit from metal ends.

Just to get a little off topic here: Is it safe for the concertina to have an "End Change"? Is it even possible?

Also: Very cool tunes, Johan.

No doubt you know the Utrecht Morris Men's team quite well. I met them back in 1995 (Easter) on the Hong Kong Morris Men's tour of the Loire Valley. I was with North Wood Morris Men (Croydon), and the fourth team was Kettlebridge Clog (Kent). A good time was had by all.

Regards,

Peter.

I only joined the Kettle Bridge Band in late 2003. I keep hearing the tales of the marvellous trips they have had and what I missed out on in previous years. In 2004, we had our 20th birthday Grand Tour of - Lancashire!

To quote Peter, a good time was had by all. We were taking the dances back to their place of origin - eg dancing Blackrod in the village of Blackrod, and Colne in Colne. who needs San Francisco anyway? <_< :D

- John Wild

I play on a Wakker/Geuns Anglo, thats the one with the modified accordion reeds. The sound was a little to sharp for my ears, so I put pieces of felt in the ends. This did cut off the sharp ends of the sound.

In order to experiment with arrangements and things like that I use a Tascam Pocketstudio 5 (Mp3 4track recorder) and my guitars.

Something like this

Ballet Snijders

5/4 Waltz

Nije Mazurka

Boeren Schots

Jubilaris

Johan

I like your playing and choice of music. The 5/4 Waltz is my favourite. Is this a traditional tune?

]

"Because?"

Ah - I see. Thanks for the explaination.

- W

Thanks for the warm welcome, here some replies on the replies.

Peter T,

Last year I met one of the members of the utrecht morris men. He planned to pick up the concertina, apparently they didn't have a concertinaplayer at that time.

Jlfinkels,

I did not take concertina lessons, The only one who does give concertinalessons around here, that I know of would be Wim Wakker. But he really hates folkmusic, so I'm told.

Before I knew of the existence of a thing called a concertina I musically grew up as a jazzguitarplayer. That comes with a certain insight in harmony and things like that. It comes in handy when puzzling to find workable arrangements.

Woody/ M3838,

It's wooden end indeed. I agree that the sound is rather sharp, even noisy. In an sessionlike situation it prevents drowning. And during a dance my concertina mostly will be heard.

In fact, the few occasions that I could compare the sound of my concertina with a good concertinareed instrument I actually felt like some angry elephant.

Anyway, I'm saving money, and in the mean time the handicaps of this instument come in handy.

I figured out that metal ends would make a concertina sound sharper than with wooden ends. But do I understand correctly, it's just the other way round?

Gus Voorhees,

What do you mean with "end change"

Poaceae,

The 5/4 waltz is, if I'm correct, a traditional mideast french tune.

Johan

I did not take concertina lessons, The only one who does give concertinalessons around here, that I know of would be Wim Wakker. But he really hates folkmusic, so I'm told.

In the first place it is very interesting to hear that you developed your own playing (technique & style) without having lessons or intensive contacts with other concertina players. Your sound samples could show some unique solutions for Anglo playing. On the other hand there may also be solutions that have been "invented" before by others...

For concertina-lessons (mainly English) in the Netherlands Pauline de Snoo is the name that comes in mind. As for Wim: I cannot believe what "is told" about Wim's attitude to folk music. How is it possible that Wim is putting so much effort, knowledge and even passion into an instrument that is very strongly related to folkmusic... his new range of Anglo Concertinas ???