Fun With Thread Drift

I thought you would need four arms to be a carbon atom so he's wrong somewhere.

Two arms & two feet?

Or maybe a couple, having four arms, constitutes one carbon atom? But where did he find enough 1-limbed people to represent the hydrogens? :unsure:

By the way, do you know the proof that Alexander the Great had an infinite number of arms? :D

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cyclohexane.jpg

Don't forget that the structure is bent at both ends, forming either a "chair" or "boat" configuration. Or some sort of oscillating resonance between the two... a real "dance of the atoms".

Hmm. Those bent configuations might make interesting-looking concertina ends.

And so this thread drifts back to concertinas, however briefly. :)

And so this thread drifts back to concertinas, however briefly. :)

A sort of Mornington Crescent moment for fans of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue

Actually I had noticed some astute diagonal play in some of your earlier posts on this thread. Waverley rules?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Another "Mornington Crescent" fan! I think that you should clarify from the outset, are you playing any special rules, or the standard version? :unsure:

Regards,

Peter.

Actually I had noticed some astute diagonal play in some of your earlier posts on this thread. Waverley rules?
Another "Mornington Crescent" fan! I think that you should clarify from the outset, are you playing any special rules, or the standard version? :unsure:

I'm sorry, I haven't a clue!

Would you folks care to explain what you're talking about, or should the Americans start their own incomprehensible-to-the-Brits sideshow?

(I would prefer to learn the rules. It sounds like fun. ;))

I think that you should clarify from the outset, are you playing any special rules, or the standard version? :unsure:

Actually I was just trying to divine what Theo was playing. My guess was the Waverley rules of 1880, straight down the (central) line with no special rules, but perhaps Theo could enlighten us?.

To Jim: I thought you were in play! Sorry, my apologies.

Chris

Thinking about it, if there are people who are curious about the playing of Mornington Crescent, would it be reasonable for a few of us to mount a demonstration game? There is even a concertina connection (as it were) since there is a record in some of the ICA newsletters on the ICA website of some special rules and variations for anglo players, the prinicple one of which was a requirement to reverse direction whenever the player moved below the line.

What do you think?

Chris

Would you folks care to explain what you're talking about, or should the Americans start their own incomprehensible-to-the-Brits sideshow?

(I would prefer to learn the rules. It sounds like fun. ;))

I suspect that the rules may be incomprehensible to all but a few Americans, and in any case only to those with extreme anglophile tendencies (and that excludes any Americans who claim to be friends of Tony Blair).

For example there is a little known diatonic manoeuvre which may be used in Praed Street, but only if the original rules are in play.....

I suspect that the rules may be incomprehensible to all but a few Americans, and in any case only to those with extreme anglophile tendencies (and that excludes any Americans who claim to be friends of Tony Blair).

What, does he play English?

...there is a little known diatonic manoeuvre which may be used in Praed Street...

Well, Mr. B. never struck me as particularly colorful.

(So does the above taking of a partial quote out of context violate any rules?)

(So does the above taking of a partial quote out of context violate any rules?)

Well Jim it is seriously off topic, I thought this topic was about "Thread Drift'. just as well Chris has staretd a new thread for Mornington Crescent.

My understanding is that thread drift is what spiders do in order to attach lines for a web onto an otherwise inaccessible anchorage point.

My understanding is that thread drift is what spiders do in order to attach lines for a web onto an otherwise inaccessible anchorage point.

I've heard that in Anchorage the web -- also known as "the net" -- is used for phishing.

What, does he play English?

No - only air guitar!! :lol:

- john Wild

Another "Mornington Crescent" fan!

I thought of posting this in the "Mornington Crescent" Topic, but this is the "Thread Drift" Topic, so off we go...!

For anyone (but particularly for Samantha?), I have found this interesting web site.

My wife and I spent three hours transporting female toads with the little males on their backs during their mating season ,across the road.

Alan, near "Fanny's Farm Shop" :) (one of my regular haunts), a couple of new road signs appeared this time two years ago; frog on a triangular warning sign, with "Frogs Crossing" underneath. You could try this; it might not significantly reduce the mortality rate, but would free up a lot of your time.

Regards,

Peter.

This reminds me of a sign that appeared on the university campus (James Cook University) a number of years ago.

This refers to the cane toad (Bufo marinus), which is a declared pest in Australia (see toadbuster) and most people try to run them over to reduce the population

This refers to the cane toad (Bufo marinus), which is a declared pest in Australia (see toadbuster) and most people try to run them over to reduce the population

Amazing link, and fascinating because of the Charles Darwin "The Origin of Species" reference (hence the expression "Breeding like toads" :D ).

I particularly like the following quote:

"My husband and I live in Humpty Doo on 5 acres of mostly rainforest. We are concerned about the cane toad invading our space. We are currently installing a 70cm high barrier of corrigated iron around our house yard, apporimately 35x60 meters. Will this keep the buggers out? or is there any thing else that we can do?"

Regards,

Peter.

Talking of holidays, anyone know of a session in Tunisia (Sousse) next week B)

Some quick googling led to the following information: " The tourist influence is strong in Sousse, and there are many businesses to attract them: Seville Shopping Center, Las Vegas Shopping, Rose and Crown English Pub, O'Connor's Irish Pub,..."

Nothing more, but I guess you could find O'Connor's and inquire there. :)

The Rose and Crown English Pub is actually on the first floor of a shopping center - so didn't bother with that one. I did make it to O'Connor's though. I walked in and ordered a pint of Guiness! Er! we don't sell Guiness sir, how about a glass of Tunisian Guiness? I smiled as he filled the glass with a local brew - Celtia, so for the rest of the evening it was - another pint of Tunisian Guiness please.

No guiness, no sessions and about as Irish as my a**. but no less than expected in a tourist hot-spot.

The waiters are very efficient though.

post-864-1145476745_thumb.jpg :o