Same Note On Push And Pull

Which free reed instruments are double action (same note on push and pull)? There's the English concertina and the piano accordion. Is that it?

Don't forget Duet concertinas.

Chomatic accordion has buttons instead of keys as do other variants from eastern Europe.

Some types of Chemnitzer/Bandonions have the same note on push and pull apparently.

Trikitixa (sp) and British Chromatic melodeons have push/pull on the treble and the same note/chord on the push and pull.

Which free reed instruments are double action (same note on push and pull)? There's the English concertina and the piano accordion. Is that it?

Chomatic accordion has buttons instead of keys as do other variants from eastern Europe.

Some types of Chemnitzer/Bandonions have the same note on push and pull apparently.

Trikitixa (sp) and British Chromatic melodeons have push/pull on the treble and the same note/chord on the push and pull.

I think there might also be some harmonicas set up this way. In reality though, I imagine they are somewhat rare.

--

Bill

Which free reed instruments are double action (same note on push and pull)?

I thought "single action" and "double action" referred to whether the instrument produced a sound in both directions, while "unisonoric" and "bisonoric" referred to whether the notes (in a double action instrument) were the same or different.

No chemnitzers have a unisonoric keyboard, save for a few buttons. There are a few unisonoric bandoneon layouts, like Kusserow.

The Schwyzerörgeli is similar to Trikitixa: 3-row DBA on the right, unisonoric bass & chords on the left.

The Schrammel accordion has a chromatic button accordion layout on the right, but the left is like a diatonic button accordion, i.e. the converse of Trikitixa & Schwyzerörgeli.

There are a few unisonoric Russian instruments too: The Bayan is a class of chromatic button accordion; the Garmon' and Livenka are unisonoric and diatonic.

I thought "single action" and "double action" referred to whether the instrument produced a sound in both directions, while "unisonoric" and "bisonoric" referred to whether the notes (in a double action instrument) were the same or different.

That's my understanding too, as witness the discussion in a different thread about single- and double-action bass Englishes.

Chris

So wouldn't it be reasonable to actually have single action English?

I know it has been offered, but didn't catch up. Perhabs just due to bad design of the air valves, since bandoneons are used in a single action manner. Tex-mex players generally play only on the pull too, so why don't they take all the push reeds and save space and weight?

Good quality English for half the price, anyone?