Machenal & Trent Concertina

This ad appeared today in Kijiji which is a bit like Craig's List in Canada:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?utm_term=822597424&adId=1692644761&utm_campaign=PR077_SCB24_Kijiji_Search_Alerts_EN&utm_medium=email&siteLocale=en_CA&utm_source=alerts

It is an EC that looks like a Lachenal Tutor model to me but the seller says:

"Vintage. Concertina ! In working order ! Approx ! 85 years old made in Germany by Machenal&Trent Germany"

I had never heard of Machenal & Trent before, maybe they were just sellers in Germany in 1939?

You can see the English-looking action through the fretwork in the 3rd picture. I’ve never seen an early 20th century German concertina with that kind of action (or the bellows papers). I really wonder whether “Machenal” is a typo for Lachenal. No idea where the “Trent” might have come from.

7124f6b3-0882-42c7-82b5-93ffd66f8327?rul

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Oberon said:

Could it be possible that the label is damaged and they say '(pa)TENT' under lachenal and just misread both?

I’d believe it. It’s certainly more believable than that this is a German concertina.

This does look exactly like a Lachenal.

But there have been German made copies of English made concertinas, even including action that is very much the same as typical Lachenal action.   This one for example

11 hours ago, David Barnert said:

It’s certainly more believable than that this is a German concertina.

In 2004, in the other thread, @wes williams said:

It looks too well made to be German! Perhaps it was imported, or made from English components? Most of the visible construction looks English to me, rather than anything I've ever seen from Germany.

Well, at least I’m in good company.

Since 2004 I've had a chance to read about and see images of some of these German made concertinas via the Horniman or Neil Wayne's Museum site. They are very difficult to identify, but I now always have their existence at the back of my mind - as will you now, Dave ;).

• Thanks 1