Question for Baritone English players....

I've seen many pictures and videos of English-system Baritone & Baritone -treble concertinas and have noticed that the bellows folds vary greatly from 5-fold to as many as 8+. My question to those who play: Have any of you baritone players (or those with a baritone range concertina) found fewer folds to be a handicap to your playing? I seem to remember 20 years ago or so, when I had an excellent 6-fold baritone that it always had plenty of playing time in each direction. What's your experience?

I had a Morse with 6 fold bellows. I only played itm on it, but my friend played melody with harmony without any problems. He didn’t play sustained chords though.
It was fine with the standard bellows but a more supple set would have been even nicer. My answer to your question is 6 or 7 folds, but the quality is as important.

I regularly play harmony/backing multi-note chords on my Morse baritone and, whilst it sometimes needs a bit of thinking about and planning, I can get a lot done before I start running out of air (and the occasional bellows reversal can be used to emphasise a beat or a word in the song. 

So yes more folds would always be useful, but the 6 folds of the Morse give a lot of air to play with. 

Having played one, you Morse Baritone players have one big advantage over the more traditional vintage baritones, that is that your concertina is much smaller and the accordion reeds need a little less air to sound. But that's all Kosher! Thanks for the response!

A  few  years  ago  I  tried  a Morse Baritone  and  found  it  wanting  in  its  air  supply  in  comparison  to  my  8 inch  octagonal Wheastsone  with    seven  fold  bellows.  Perhaps  it  is  mostly  a case of  'what  one is  used to'  and  for  a  single  note  melody  player  the  Morse  would  have  been  fine.

Even  when  playing   the  Baritone-Treble  with  chordal  accompaniment,  for  the  most  part,  I  still have  more  air   than I  need .  On  second  thoughts,  after  a  test  with  a  couple  of  larger  arrangements,  there  is  sufficient  wind but  a big  chord  can  use  a  significant  amount  of  the  seven fold  length.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

On 3/18/2024 at 2:42 PM, Paul_Hardy said:

My George Case baritone (https://pghardy.net/concertina/case_baritone/case_baritone.html) only has 5-fold bellows, and I've never found it a problem. Mind you, my playing style tends to reverse bellows direction every couple of bars.

... And I'm generally only playing one note at a time, other than for final ending chord, as I mainly use it for part-planing in duets/ensembles/bands. I see that others are using their baritones for chordal accompaniments and I can see that five-fold bellows could be a problem then.