Hurricane Katrina

There really is no place else like it on earth.

At times like this it is good to remember that there have been other really hard times in that city's past that these tough, wonderful folk always seem to find a way to overcome. They had just such a flood, also from a levee break, in 1859 when the same parts of the city were underwater for six months, and they rebuilt. Also in that century, there were huge and deeply tragic yellow fever and other epidemics (an Irish immigrant named Margaret spent her life founding numerous sizeable orphan asylums, because so many parents were killed). And yet, just look at all the wonderful things they have managed to give the world after those horrible events. New Orleans will be back, you can count on it. It is just so hard to watch what they must endure and overcome. We should make sure they don't have to do it on their own. The Red Cross and Salvation Army are two good places to start.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all her people, especially those I've encountered there like Ernie Elly (fomerly Ray Charles' drummer), the trumpeter Leroy Jones and all her other wonderful musicians. I hope you're all safe guys !

I found out tonight that Leroy Jones is safe in Texas, but still no word of Ernie Elly.

• 3 weeks later...

Rita is winding down around here; lots of wind where we are (40 miles west of Houston) but no heavy damage...just 2 million people evacuated from Texas towns! The story is likely different and much worse 100 miles east of here; haven't yet heard.

We still have a New Orleans evacuee family staying with us from Katrina, so this made two storms within a month for them. And of course their New Orleans levees broke again yesterday!

Is all well with Harold Herrington?

Chris

Harold lives up near Dallas so was spared either storm. However, he has two siblings and their families living in Orange Texas, a very nice small town on the Louisiana border which was right in Rita's path. They evacuated to Harold's place and to another relative, and are safe, but I understand that Orange sustained major damage in just about every building. Harold told me his relations headed back the other day, with chainsaws and generators in hand. I know we all wish them well.