Song-Air with LH Tab for Harmonic Anglo

Steve Moore

"Joy to the Person of my Love" is a baroque era, courtly Scots song with lovely 6-chord minor to major harmonies.   It is also played very slowly.  As such it makes a good exercise for harmonic Anglo on the Left Hand following tab conventions of G Coover.    I've left it to the player to work out the right hand melody, with just a couple of footnoted suggestions.  I'm new at this, finding the voicings and getting my fingers to the more distant buttons, so comments and suggestions welcome.

Joy to the Person of My Love_Am.docx

I have taken the liberty of typing this in ABC. I hope that is OK.

This unfortunately has to be minus your anglo tablature as I am not sure how to accommodate that in ABC notation.

X:339
T:Joy to the Person of My Love
T:17th cent. Scots song/air in Am
M:4/4
L:1/8
K:Am
|:"Am"a2 ef "C"g3c|"Dm"defg "Am"e3e|"Dm"dcBA "E"B3A|"Am"A4-A4:|
|:"Am"ABcd "Em"e2 ab|"Am"c'a"G"bg "F"a2 ef|"C"g2 f/e/d/c/ "G"d3c|"C"c4-c4:|
|:"C"g2 ec "Em"g3g|"Am"aAcd "Em"e3e|"Dm"dcBA "E"B3A|"Am"A4-A4:|

On 12/17/2023 at 1:54 PM, John Wild said:

I have taken the liberty of typing this in ABC. I hope that is OK.

This unfortunately has to be minus your anglo tablature as I am not sure how to accommodate that in ABC notation. (my emphasis)

T:17th cent. Scots song/air in Am
K:Am
|:"Am"a2 ef "C"g3c|"Dm"defg "Am"e3e|"Dm"dcBA "E"B3A|"Am"A4-A4:|
|:"Am"ABcd "Em"e2 ab|"Am"c'a"G"bg "F"a2 ef|"C"g2 f/e/d/c/ "G"d3c|"C"c4-c4:|
|:"C"g2 ec "Em"g3g|"Am"aAcd "Em"e3e|"Dm"dcBA "E"B3A|"Am"A4-A4:|

The 'easiest' ways to add tabs are using 1) text annotations; 2) lyrics (w:) lines; 3) symbol (s:) lines. There are pluses and minuses for each approach, and all are to some extent 'messy'...

The code below is an edited version of the code posted by John Wild, and uses method 2) which is my preferred option. Using '^' for pull can be replaced with '_' for pull, though this uses two w: lines for each line of tabs...

%A lightly edited version of a tune posted on concertina.net by user John Wild, 17 December 2023
T:17th cent. Scots song/air in Amin
T:Tabs added using 'dummy' lyrics using w: lines
Q:100
K:Amin %naturals (nominal key of C)
|: "Am" a2 ef "C" g3 c | "Dm" defg "Am" e3 e | "Dm" dcBA "E" B3 A | "Am" A4- A4 :|
w: R4^ R2 R3^ R3 R1 | R2^ R2 R3^ R3 R2 R2 | R2^ R1 R1^ L1^ R1^ L1^ | L1^ L1^ | ABTCGA
|: "Am" ABcd "Em" e2 ab | "Am" c'a"G"bg "F" a2 ef | "C" g2 f/e/d/c/ "G" d3 c | "C" c4- c4 :|
w: L1^ R1^ R1 R2^ R2 R4^ R5^ | R4 R4^ R5^ R3 R4^ R2 R3^ | R3 R3^ R2 R2^ R1 R2^ R1 | R1 R1 | ABTCGA
|: "C" g2 ec "Em" g3 g | "Am" aAcd "Em" e3 e | "Dm" dcBA "E" B3 A | "Am" A4- A4 :|
w: R3 R2 R1 R3 R3 | R4^ L1^ R1 R2^ R2 R2 | R2^ R1 R1^ L1^ R1^ L1^ | L1^ L1^ | ABTCGA

Edited by Roger Hare
  • Like 1

I should've included the source for this tune,  here in D minor on lute, voice and viol.   Worth a patient listen.   The song lyrics are an exposition of constant but unrequited love (*sigh*).

-Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLl7K1IlXO0&ab_channel=DiegOrlok

Yes, adding the RH tab would make it more accessible.  It'll go onto two pages in Word because of spacing limitations.  A rainy day project.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...