The learning curve

Ubizmo

How the other half lives...

The other night, I got a chance to try out a high end concertina--at least, higher than my Rochelle 2. I can't remember the maker, possibly Edgley. It's owner told me it took her a year to receive it after ordering, so perhaps that's a clue. It's smaller in diameter than my Rochelle 2.

Anyway, I was gobsmacked by the ease of play, compared to mine. The bellows just seemed to float in and out, as if my hands were only steering; and the buttons felt super-sensitive. And this is with my meathook hands stuck only halfway through her hand straps.

This, I suppose, explains why people fairly quickly either upgrade or quit.

This is the problem with the inexpensive, challenging to play concertinas, many of them I think in some ways do more harm than good in the long run with players being discouraged. 

The original Rochelles should have be intercepted at the port and taken directly to a landfill IMHO.   If you own one, and it give you joy, that's fine, I just don't like them at all. Stiff bellows, odd ergonomics, buttons aren't in the right place, quality control issues, etc.

The Rochelle 2 and some of the more recent updated Chinese-built instruments are somewhat better, but still not representative of the instrument. 

I know not everyone can afford even a hybrid instrument like an Edgley, much less a higher end instrument, but if someone really wants to play concertina, they should know that it's worth seeking out a used hybrid rather than buy one of these concertina shaped objects.

You'll most certainly get your money back out of a hybrid like an Edgley if you decide that you don't want to play concertina, but at least you will have had a proper experience of the instrument.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ubizmo said:

How the other half lives...

The other night, I got a chance to try out a high end concertina--at least, higher than my Rochelle 2. I can't remember the maker, possibly Edgley. It's owner told me it took her a year to receive it after ordering, so perhaps that's a clue. It's smaller in diameter than my Rochelle 2.

Anyway, I was gobsmacked by the ease of play, compared to mine. The bellows just seemed to float in and out, as if my hands were only steering; and the buttons felt super-sensitive. And this is with my meathook hands stuck only halfway through her hand straps.

This, I suppose, explains why people fairly quickly either upgrade or quit.

This was my exact experience when I made that exact upgrade — Rochelle 2 to a used Edgley hybrid. 

I'm glad I started on the Rochelle 2, because if I hadn't, I wouldn't have started at all. There's just no way I'd have convinced myself to put down more than a few hundred dollars on something I'd never tried in my life. And as really cheap boxes go, I still feel like it was a good choice. Definitely good enough not to drive me away.

But oh my god, it was a relief when I upgraded. And, yeah, like you say, I'm glad I did it quickly. As soon as I'd convinced myself that squeezing 30-ish buttons in and out was something I wanted to spend a lot of time doing, that was the right time to start saving up.

Edited by Leah Velleman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Leah Velleman said:

I'm glad I started on the Rochelle 2, because if I hadn't, I wouldn't have started at all. There's just no way I'd have convinced myself to put down more than a few hundred dollars on something I'd never tried in my life. And as really cheap boxes go, I still feel like it was a good choice. Definitely good enough not to drive me away.

But oh my god, it was a relief when I upgraded. And, yeah, like you say, I'm glad I did it quickly. As soon as I'd convinced myself that squeezing 30-ish buttons in and out was something I wanted to spend a lot of time doing, that was the right time to start saving up.

Yeah, I had grave doubts about this whole endeavor. It was hard enough to feel comfortable shelling out $549 for the Rochelle 2, but I simply wasn't about to drop over $1K for an instrument that was, to me, a big question mark. But at $549 it was comparable to a few other musical speculations I'd tried over the years, such as digital wind instruments, all of which I ended up selling.

Now that I'm about a month in, I still wonder where I'll get with the concertina, but it doesn't much matter. I'm comfortable enough sight-reading now--at least diatonic things that don't go above high C or below low B--so I don't feel utterly helpless. And I'm starting to be able to play by ear. What has taken me by surprise is how addictive and, hmm, meditative this instrument is. Because I don't know how to do much ornamentation (I just discovered that I can use redundant notes to do a kind of roll, but that only works on a few notes), I've managed to mostly put it out of my mind and just try to play a clean, expressive melody. This is very satisfying.

But yes, after trying that other concertina, the Rochelle 2 now makes me feel like I have boxing gloves on. I'm pretty sure now that I will want to upgrade, but it may not be in the budget for a while. I think the next step up for trade-in at Concertina Connection is the Minstrel. I don't know much (anything) about it, but I'm sure that before long I'll be wanting to find out more.

44 minutes ago, Ubizmo said:

I'm comfortable enough sight-reading now--at least diatonic things that don't go above high C or below low B--so I don't feel utterly helpless. And I'm starting to be able to play by ear. What has taken me by surprise is how addictive and, hmm, meditative this instrument is. Because I don't know how to do much ornamentation (I just discovered that I can use redundant notes to do a kind of roll, but that only works on a few notes), I've managed to mostly put it out of my mind and just try to play a clean, expressive melody. This is very satisfying.

Sounds like you’re coming along nicely. I think it’s time you showed us a video.

You can make all kinds of effects with Anglo concertina; arpeggio type chords by spreading out the notes on buttons, and staccatto, super fast "trills"..and numerous other effects, a bit difficult to explain how the 'effects' are made it something you find out by practical experience. Those deeper notes below the B left side are really worth using, as there are some very deep notes that can reinforce a tune and add a great deal of strength to a performance. I am referring to 30 button in my description here.

I didn't need that pinky for this tune, but yes, it needs work. I'm getting used to using it for the low D on the push, which is sometimes just what I want. The biggest challenge of the tune I played is that it needs the left-hand E and B, and I struggled to remember that in time. As it is, my playing is hesitant at times and lacks commitment overall, but it's a start.

I notice that certain notes are a bit inhibited, or maybe muffled, on this instrument. The middle C (which isn't in the tune I recorded) on the right hand isn't as clear as the "alternate" on the left. The high A also sounds a bit stifled, although it's harder to say on those high notes.

When recording, I'm always a bit nervous anyway. I've found that I can do some minimal ornamentation on that tune--a few mordents anyway--but I didn't try it while recording. I just wanted to get through without hitting any obvious clams.

You will get to where you want to I am sure.

Learning new things is interesting; that early stage there's the need to want to be doing more than you can at first few steps, the mind is ahead of the hands. Then it becomes intuitive and your fingers will find their way. Even after years of playing there's challenging pierces of music to discover. The funny thing is that once you maybe practice what you may consider a difficult piece everything else seems a lot easier in comparison ( I found anyway).

7 hours ago, Ubizmo said:

So, here's that video:

Leaving Stage Harbor

Bravo!

I was sort of half kidding when I suggested you submit a video, but I was hoping you would and you did not disappoint.

A hint, not about your playing, but about the way you posted: I don’t know if you’re aware that if instead of embedding the url of the video in a link, you merely type (or paste) the url as plain text into this window, the video will appear, playable, right here in this window. Like this:

I  notice the muscles in my inner forearms getting a workout, especially my left forearm. I rest the concertina on my right knee, so the left arm does the heavy lifting, so to speak. And this instrument really is pretty stiff, so I have to work for my notes. Especially middle C natural on the right hand. It's just a tad reluctant to speak, so I really have to shove the bellows to get a decent attack. After a while, it feels like I've been doing wrist curls.

I find myself already thinking more about upgrading. Already. If I do, I'm not sure which way to go, though. The next model up in the Concertina Connection trade-in program would be the "Minstrel." Even with the trade-in allowance, it would still be an $1,100 outlay. Or I could go back to Liberty Bellows and actually try the next model up: https://www.libertybellows.com/shop/Concertinas/Anglo-Concertinas--30-Buttons/p/NEW-Walnut-Stagi-M-5-Concertine-Italia-Anglo-Concertina-CG-M-30-x32794030.htm. They have a trade-in program too, though there would be some significant depreciation on my Rochelle-2 already. But the advantage is that I'd be able to try the Stagi right there in the store and see if it's much easier to play.

I've also wondered if I should try out an English concertina while I'm still quite green at this, just to see what that feels like to play. I find that the more I play the concertina, the less certain I am that there's any one specific kind of music I want to play on it, if that makes any sense. I find myself playing "The Rights of Man" one minute, then switching to Kitaro's "Silk Road" the next, then Lennon/McCartney "In My Life." In short, I'm all over the place.

5 hours ago, Ubizmo said:

I  notice the muscles in my inner forearms getting a workout, especially my left forearm. I rest the concertina on my right knee, so the left arm does the heavy lifting, so to speak. And this instrument really is pretty stiff, so I have to work for my notes. Especially middle C natural on the right hand. It's just a tad reluctant to speak, so I really have to shove the bellows to get a decent attack. After a while, it feels like I've been doing wrist curls.

Be careful - your body has a memory of its own, and it will remember any (in particular repetitive) pain it is subjected to and, in the worst case, associate the pain with its cause (in this case, concertina playing) and find ways to defend itself against it. I am fairly certain that this is the very reason I had to give up the guitar 12 years ago - I developed a tremor that only happens in the right hand picking position. Concertina playing is no problem whatsoever, and after many years of not playing guitar since then, my body has sort of forgotten - I can now play guitar again with no problem, at least for up to around 20 Minutes.

So you are enthusiastic and motivated, which is great, but be careful and do not overstrain your body in the wake, it may flash back... A better instrument is of course a good cure, but even with one, there is a risk.

Edited by RAc
  • Like 1

You do not have to continuously practice almost none stop; do take a rest between. You will still find you are becoming familiar with the technical side of instrument, even after a rest period, as your mind and memory will 'kick in,' when yo start again. Aches in muscles may be sign you are 'overdoing' the process at this stage.

• Like 1

When I sit down to play, I'm not even thinking about "practice." I'm just thinking about trying to play this or that piece of music that's in my head. The time just passes. When I play the (tenor) sax, at some point the weight of it on the neck strap causes me discomfort and I stop. I suppose I just need to acquire a similar sense with the concertina.

Incidentally, I did find a slightly used Jackie English for a very good price and bought it. I'm just curious about these and want to see how I get on with it. At some point, I'll figure out what's the best fit for my brain, but there's no rush.

I often think that you know when you are really progressing or advancing in playing music on  instrument, when you are not as consciously having to think too much over the technicalities, that I mean the basics, of say where finger goes to make a note, or sound production, when it becomes a more intuitive approach, and can be called upon as a skill when required at a consistent standard.

Edited by SIMON GABRIELOW