Metzler / ?? ID

Robin Harrison

Was given to look at today a 48 key Metzler English.  Serial # 13106

I am assuming it has been re-badged from a Lachenal or Wheatstone.

I wonder if someone would look at the end plates and offer an opinion.

Steel reeds ( bar two replacement non-brass ) Very nice rose-wood end plates and buttons that are lovely......even pressure, excellent condition.

It's not an abused concertina.........it has original pads, replacement valves, shrinkage  etc........but oddly to me , 2 or maybe 3 different makes of end bolts.

Any help appreciated.

Robin

Buttons 1.jpg

metzler 2.jpeg

Metzler 4.jpg

Metzler 3.jpg

There are 53 Metzler labelled concertinas in our Lachenal Project database, both Anglo and English. The address on the label was active 1858 to 1883. If it is a Lachenal we would estimate it as circa 1867. Metzler changed address to 40-43 Great Marlborough St in 1884.

Thanks Wes, are we assuming it is a Lachenal ?

I'm afraid my knowledge of different end plates is minimal; are there any Wheatstones  that Metzler re-badged, do you know?

Mike....here you are. Is this sufficient for your interest ?

Thanks again....

Robin

Action 1.jpg

On 9/5/2023 at 2:22 AM, Robin Harrison said:

Thanks Wes, are we assuming it is a Lachenal ?

I'm afraid my knowledge of different end plates is minimal; are there any Wheatstones  that Metzler re-badged, do you know?

Mike....here you are. Is this sufficient for your interest ?

Thanks again....

Robin

Hi Robin,

The action suggests that it was built by Lachenal, but might have been supplied to Wheatstone, or sold directly by Lachenals (see Chris Flint's action survey here ). Our estimate for #13106 of circa 1867 for a Lachenal, or circa 1865 if it was Wheatstone, doesn't help. But we do have Metzler badged Lachenal English over a wide range of numbers from #9286 (including #13499) to #25833 (street numbers change to 40s here) when Metzler was buying direct from Lachenal.