Exploring new "keys" on the 20 button (modes) and a fun little rhythmic riff - a new tune for 20 button anglo

I must say I resemble a concertina-playing pixie in amongst the speedwells here haha!

This jaunty, puckish tune is one of those that just happened whilst absent mindedly noodling about.  Just as the speedwells popped up unexpectedly when I stopped mowing a patch of lawn.  It's all based around a repetitive riff or rhythmic figure, if you prefer, which uses notes that occur on both the push and pull. 

Here it's a D and A alternating with a D and G and then, in the middle section, a B and F# alternating with a B and G.  

There's something very mesmeric about these sorts of riffs, where you alternate the same note on push and pull. You can get quite a few of them on the 20 button anglo.  I might do something on that subject soon.  It also makes a change from chordal accompaniment.  

The melody in the right hand also just happened - I'd recommend anyone having a go and seeing what falls under the fingers and sounds good.  

What's fascinating is the mode that the piece is in - it's a D-ish kind of tune (like a D major scale but with a C natural on the seventh). D mixolydian mode I do believe! And then in the middle section it goes into what sounds like B minor. But! Very unusually it has a C natural on the second of the scale (B phrygian mode). But actually it's a lot simpler really - these scales are what happens when you try to play D major and B minor on a C/G 20 button anglo! You don't have any C sharps!

• Like 10

2 hours ago, James Fitton said:

Lovely tune that, Kathryn - thanks for posting. I do love the way in which tunes can sometimes move very subtly between modes - one of the many joys of apparently "simple" diatonic instruments....

Yes! And such interesting modes come out don’t they! Actually wouldn’t that be a fun exercise - a tune in each mode.

And yes there are many joys in exploring this instrument aren’t there - I think not having things that more buttons give you makes for working with what you do have.  And a restricted palette can lead to creative choices!  You can also see that with melodeon chord basses and buttons, resulting in people using some gorgeous unexpected harmonies.

3 hours ago, Kathryn Wheeler said:

...Actually wouldn’t that be a fun exercise - a tune in each mode...

In 2016, James Fitton, who posted that nice 'Hazel's Hornpipe' the other day did just that. A 'set' of seven jigs starting with Gmaj, and ending with F#loc. It is called 'Rainbow Jigs'.

There's a rendering on SoundCloud here.

I would post a PDF of the dots, and accompanying ABC, but I'm reluctant to do so without JF's permission. If he gives the go-ahead, I will do so. 30 seconds later: Oh, I now see that JF was the previous poster but one - maybe he will advise...

Edited by lachenal74693
  • Like 1

That was a fun listen, thankyou, and a gorgeous background picture.  The landscape looks familiar but I can’t place it.

I find it fascinating how the different modes affect the opportunities for accompaniment.  I also like how some are more sparing because that gives nice contrast.  There are two instruments going on in that recording by the sounds of things.

I’m actually now tempted to play around with the idea on a different instrument too because how the notes lie under the fingers will be different.  This was after jamming on viola last night in an impromptu session after a dance out (it’s a side where all the music is on bowed strings).

Hello Kathryn,

It sounds like we share a fascination with all things modal! Somewhat off our collective topic here, but it would be interesting to know how this sort of thing works on viola (which I don't play at all.) Somehow the "limitations" of diatonic instruments seem to encourage modal approaches to music.

The background picture is Pots and Pans, the strangely-named hill in Saddleworth, just above where I live. I'll post the sheet music to my piece separately, as it doesn't seem right to piggyback further on your thread, sparked by your "Speedwell", which I like a lot!

• Like 1

Yes diatonic instruments do lend themselves to modal music don’t they! 

I first came across modes in medieval music and then realised we use them unconsciously a lot in folk and other popular music.  They’re great!

On bowed strings, because you don’t have buttons for notes or even fret’s indicating where to put fingers, you can play any pitch - even notes that don’t exist in our scales.  

But let’s assume we just restrict the ones we do use - then you can be restricted by how the notes lie under the fingers, changing strings (using patterns that feel nice or interesting), or whether to change position. You can impose restrictions. And that’s not even going into what bowing options to use.  

It can seem really overwhelming but imposing restrictions can help.  So it’s refreshing to pick up the 20 button anglo!

Edited by Kathryn Wheeler

Kathryn, have you ever tried playing the Chalumeau? One in C, without keys? Because this also makes the player have to use limited resources ( 1 chromatic octave).. I have taken to this kind of instrument just this year and it compliments the sound of concertinas, I think, with its single reed, and sound quality🌝