Advice for a beginner on a new hybrid: ICC Clare v McNeela Phoenix

Hi everyone, 

I'm fairly new to the anglo concertina and very new to this forum.  It's time to upgrade from my basic beginner concertina and I've been deliberating between these two models - the McNeela Phoenix or the ICC Clare.  Does anyone have experience of playing and handling both?  Is the ICC Clare worth the extra money? The Phoenix is a whole lot cheaper.

I know that better concertinas pop up for sale 2nd hand from time to time, but I'm never quick enough off the draw. I'm based between Ireland and UK. 

Any advice gratefully received!

• Like 1

My experience leads me to suggest to you, buy the best that you can afford, no less.

Because many beginner grade devalue as soon as you walk out of the store. A professional grade will appreciate as soon as you get it.

Here in the USA,  really nice Concertinas are made by Wally Carrol,

http://www.carrollconcertinas.com/index.html

for example;   there are many positive reviews on them.

There are other makers out here with superb products, but I like Wally's work best which offers an Irish style layout as standard with no need to customize. Yes these are expensive but its an investment not a cost!

My history. Began with a really basic box, CC Rochelle, wore it out learning. Then sold it. A few years later at auction, won a lovely rarely used Crab Anglo. Sold it and bought from order a new box of traditional design, Suttner A2 with D drone. At my level of skill its a perfect fit.

http://suttnerconcertinas.com/

• Like 1

I am a relatively new Anglo player as well—less than a year.  I was considering a McNeela model but I was dissuaded by others and told by many, “get the best you can afford.”  I was moving up from a Stegi, and was already addicted to the Anglo, so I went with CC’s custom Clover, made here in America and as a hybrid, softer on the wallet.  I can’t say enough about the support I’ve received from them during the break in period; maybe I’ll be trading up on a Walker model or getting a Carroll or Suttner in the future.  I absolutely do not regret my decision.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello! Im in the same boat! I have a McNeela New Swan 2 and was thinking of upgrading very soon! Could I have a link to the ICC clare you mentioned? I gave it a goog but couldn't find it. It's so hard to find new Concertina makers 😔 

Maybe you could think as to whether you need one that is really needed to be of heritage value in time ( in future).. like the quite expensive ones so envied by many; or on the other hand, a practical instrument you can play and use now, which is still good enough to play, for you ( without the expense being too extreme)?

Edited by SIMON GABRIELOW