Three sets of polkas off the "Sliabh Notes" recordings

Michael Eskin

Here are three sets of polkas I've learned from the "Sliabh Notes" recordings:  

QR codes also attached that you can scan with your phone.

The Blackwater - Kathleen's - Mícheál's  

http://michaeleskin.com/abctools/abctools.html?lzw=BoLgBAjAUAKuMAsCmYBCAbAhgYwNYHdMAXJAJygGFwBZYosC0zAOwEsjsEoAlcABwD26XJijVwAJgD0AFigAZcBCkAOKAGlwAEQC2mAFZQAPiABiAEzTmpqKUYCCpsAFEtDgDSp3YLc6OnnF1MjKHtLVGtbBydnYK0nexspRNM7Vx8APmcQEJNTezRsI3MJMDCjADMAcykKqTAkc0qUJAkQ82wpawam1AKAo3iypJS0rUzsozAoKFAwCVhwdWIEdCQkZgByAGdKGjoGJjYOLl4wQWFRcXnZBSVVDXBUHVZmYxAOrvqKpGLUKyMSAyFR6RmwBXsRSgn26Pz+AM6tgKqCKEDQpRROQxpQqGSqRlyIEwIKqvwqlnMSFqdiqIMaYIhGV+UHJDSK5n+4KMfTA+SMaNQGLqNSx6MKBOms3AAGZFmBqABbzhIACH6B2e3lB0YLHYnB4-CEIjEkluikgD00ZXe9gxiVsYCm4LKGX+TpQmBQlSkmGpVLA2FQIVtaHt9SdjKcU1iw1snUSjoFEMCop5IYJUEwNV9YAARphHWAKgWfo7wVJOg0CmD-oLHZns-V84Xi0WvZCGn6K+G06UQlmfU2C1NW6WGd2q2Xa9h6yG+klC877Bko0FY92E1Ne46ALpAA&w=50&format=noten

The Annaghbeg - Pete Bradley's - Newmarket  

http://michaeleskin.com/abctools/abctools.html?lzw=BoLgBAjAUAKuMAsCmYCCA7dBDA5ggRkjlAErgAOA9gDYDWWUAsuAEwD0ALFADLgRsAOKAGlwAEQC2WAFZQAPiFRsAQmyUAxNmgAmcpao1bUugMYplAPhNzlqMOtRyo+tW0069K1++NyzYS2sIMG0AMxCWEDkWEPDtJDknBVCYpF1QlCQWOW0TAOtbe0coAG0IFLA0uQzK7Nz8nLikKNKWF0MPdrcjU3MrRojEsCgoUDAWWHAABSQAF3MAJyxtaiQATwByAGdSChp6JlZOHj5BEXAAcSlZBWUY2zkLgFEwJ7E5J7tUAzZH5RDrFA7gFHM9Xu9Pmgfo8YhcLKgWrdtCEEtp-jhlDl0ZjCqgLq4nMpkfEsWAMaTvgSLrCEXJhqNwABmSZgABySAA7lIFrQ5rswFQ6AxmONjrxIGdRGBJDJ5IpiaE5GkAtovHpiQkalknMZYkrkUS1bqScFQsSLMoojEzSjEnLQmwcGwsGTFcrDap1batdkoA6nS6cG6DarPcaEqaNVawDbtBahkA&w=50&format=noten

Many A Wild Night - Walsh's #1 - Walsh's #2  

http://michaeleskin.com/abctools/abctools.html?lzw=BoLgBAjAUAKuCyBDAdgTzAQTAdQJYBsATMAOVwHMALAFygCVwAHAe3wGtEp5wAmAegAsUADLgIfABxQA0uAAiAW0QArKAB8MxQgCENAMTB65agOLaw2jGr18TfLHIB8uqJrA79h42YtW5PMCdtEDV1EDcAM0Q1cgBTMFjHAGMNJIS+CL5yNQitPli+Qj5tPlDI6LiEwjUk+IAjaMIAwmcQsCgoUDAeWHBsRHwAZ0oAckGwAGJoBjAWdk5ubsERMUkZcBMlVXIA8kzyUsRyMDi1HV9TLG1qqB2T-cPj0-PLUwCTHjaoE0crqxMAKJgAHGbQAGjkwNBEKhoR+f1MQJBanBkORHzAHxCHS6AGZejgBsMxpMejM5hwuLxlqJIGtZJgtmEAakEhE1LE0klCnxuSVWbF2bEApyymlBRyuTy+aUMAY9CyMLjsWoQEUCjl4kldHLDIrfpgUsKqvlSlAIlqdfL9Vg5RplWowEA&w=50&format=noten

blackwater_polkas_sliabh_notes.png

annaghbeg_polkas_sliabh_notes.png

many_a_wild_night_sliabh_notes.png

Edited by eskin

On 2/18/2023 at 4:49 AM, eskin said:

Here are three sets of polkas I've learned from the "Sliabh Notes" recordings:

A small point.

Using the URL rather than the QR code, when I look at the first set, in the ABC window in the program the title of the 3rd tune is rendered as:

T: Mícheál's

When I save the ABC to my machine, and look at the code, the title of the 3rd tune is rendered as:

T: Mícheál's

This can be 'fixed' by adding the line:

I:abc-charset utf-8

to the head of the ABC in the program window before saving.

I don't know if this can be considered to be a 'bug' in the program (probably not!)but maybe it's worth mentioning in case it catches anyone else out?

Doesn't affect the usefulness of the program!

Edited by lachenal74693

If I do the same, and open the file in EasyABC (v1.3.8.6 on Linux) or a text editor it appears as Mícheál's.

david@localhost:~/Documents/concertina/abc/temp> file newtune.abc 
newtune.abc: UTF-8 Unicode text

Are you also using EasyABC? If so, this may be you are using the old Python 2 version - but that's a guess.

52 minutes ago, DaveRo said:

...Are you also using EasyABC? If so, this may be you are using the old Python 2 version - but that's a guess.

Thanks.

I should have said - I'm using EasyABC on a Windows machine. I'm using 1.3.7.5 which does seem to be using Python version 2. I'm using 1.3.7.5 because when I checked out 1.3.8 (some time ago), I found it does a couple of things slightly differently (green note-heads rather than red when following the playback, for example). I don't know if switching to 1.3.8... would help either...😊

It's the accented characters which are the problem - I usually edit ABC files I download in a more 'conventional' manner by replacing all accented characters with their 'backslash' equivalent (*), so it doesn't matter if I don't have utf-8 specified, and the problem doesn't normally arise.

It's a minor 'gotcha' which almost certainly isn't going to affect every user, I just thought it might be worth pointing up.

(*)Guido Gonzato's ABC manual, 2.2.6, p34. "Typing accented letters using backslash sequences is the best option if you don’t need other foreign characters. Besides, your Abc source will be encoded in 7–bit pure ASCII, which is guaranteed to be readable by every digital device on the planet.".

Edited by lachenal74693

If it mostly works I wouldn't risk updating it. Can you can install both in Windows?

I updated recently from 1.3.7 because it wouldn't play a highlighted section of a tune. I had to edit the code in the end, as I described here

https://github.com/jwdj/EasyABC/issues/64

That feature works now, but doesn't work well on two-stave duet tunes.

The playing notes are red on mine fwiw.

Edit: Actually, they're orange.

Edited by DaveRo

11 hours ago, DaveRo said:

[1] If it mostly works I wouldn't risk updating it. Can you can install both in Windows?

[2]...The playing notes are red on mine fwiw.

Edit: Actually, they're orange.

[1] From memory (it's a year or three ago) there are some minor 'issues' with running two different versions of EasyABC

[2] There was a release with green note-heads, but I haven' kept up-to-date with more recent 1.3.8...

releases.

As you say,if it works most of the time, why update, and it's only a minor 'gotcha' wrt ME's program...