The fingering for Drowsey Maggie on Anglo

On 8/25/2022 at 10:48 PM, John Spillane said:

Hey friends, 

Is there anywhere online I could find the best fingering for Drowsey Maggie on Anglo please? Also Fermoy Lasses and also any other tunes? Has anyone ever posted up Irish tunes and how to play them? Loving the forum. Thanks, John.

I suspect you won't easily find fingering for many tunes 'on line'.

You don't say what type of concertina you have, or what button numbering system you use.

Bearing that in mind, I've attached a PDF showing suggested fingering for both these tunes using the

Australian Bush Traditions button numbering system, for a G/D concertina, using a simple 'cross-row'

fingering strategy. (1)

Briefly, the numbering layout used by this system is:

G/D Anglo button numbering - Australian Bush Traditions system. Summary:

aL5 aL4 aL3 aL2 aL1   aR1 aR2 aR3 aR4 aR5  | 'pull' is differentiated from 'push'
 L5  L4  L3  L2  L1    R1  R2  R3  R4  R5  | with '^', thus: L1^, aR1^, dR2^, etc.
dL5 dL4 dL3 dL2 dL1   dR1 dR2 dR3 dR4 dR5  | For C/G, simply replace 'd' with 'g'.

I haven't tried this yet - it's 0600 here and I don't want to wake the neighbours, but the suggested

fingering is 'advisory' - there's always a different way of playing a tune...

The attached PDF is produced from an ABC script. I've used 'text annotations' to insert the tabs,

which 'follow' the notes. They can also be added as a straight line of tabs. I haven't included the

ABC script...

If you have a C/G, use the same fingering and you'll end up playing the tunes in G and C respectively...

(1) Generated using my own 'experimental', but reasonably tested software...

RogersTuneBook-TDrowsyMaggieFermoyL-oldgdx-tabs.pdf

Edited by lachenal74693

44 minutes ago, John, Wexford said:

I taught a student one time, who had been taught using a similar numbering system. Unfortunately she started with another teacher shortly after, who had a completely different numbering system. She was completely at sea.

Precisely! I've seen (both here and elsewhere) posts from new players who blithely say they are planning to

use tutors from two different authors, who use different button numbering systems. Ultimately, it doesn't

matter which system is used, but I always advise using only one system and sticking with it, to avoid

ending up with a severe headache...

I've had one myself (a severe headache), because I've spent quite a lot of time looking at this over the last

couple of years - comparing ABT and GC numbering (plus at least one other system), and also playing

with 'modified' ABT numbering. Because it's something I look at frequently, I'm reasonably adept at shifting

from one to t'other, but basically, it's a nightmare!

Edited by lachenal74693

I think the views provided here are about right; there's different systems of playing concertina, and once you have found one that suits.   Stay with it, and try not to get distracted, by changing again 

My system I stuck to( 30 key Anglo). I got  first from a very basic book years ago when I started out and I stuck with it, and now rarely need to use it as experience eventually teaches you what to use by application of skill learned. 

And furthermore, each person will have their own ways of tackling music; what is right for one individual.. may not be right for another.

8 hours ago, gcoover said:

"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from." - Andrew S. Tanenbaum 

Demonstrated more than adequately in your own list - see the following post from 2014 for those who haven't seen this list before:

Anglo Notation Comparison Chart

The link to the list is at the bottom of the post - 27 to choose from - plus one which isn't listed...

Edited by lachenal74693