Can you help me identify this?

Hi - I'm a "new" Concertina learner.  I have a Chinese one that I'm not thrilled with, so I bought this "Made in Italy" one from Goodwill.  It looks like an older Bastari but the grill cover is different than other Bastari's I've seen.  I haven't received it in the mail yet, but can anyone help me identify it?  I'm sure it will need some work and as a piano technician, I'm sure I can work through the details.  I love bringing old devices to life, and am looking forward to making this playable.

Thanks for your help

Bob D

Concertina1.jpg

Concertina2.jpg

Concertina3.jpg

It is an inexpensive "concertina-like-object". The reeds are arranged like an accordion. They are placed on blocks as opposed to horizontally on the sound board. I have one like it and the biggest weakness is the way the buttons are attached to the levers. Better quality instruments have buttons with holes that the levers go through. Your concertina (and mine) have rubber tubing under the plastic buttons that the levers pass through. When the tubing dries out, problems occur.

But they are playable, learn how to play it!

My first concertina looked exactly like that. Tuned C/G, double set of reeds tuned in octaves. Taught me to find partial chords (mostly open fifths) in several keys. Most common repair needed is to replace the rubber sleeves on the buttons levers - not hard to do. It was serviceable and I used it for four years of learning before getting....a better Stagi! (Many others since of course).

Welcome to the madness.

Ken

Yes, it is an anglo style, two rows.  20 buttons ( 40 notes)! They do often come in C and G major; although sometimes in other key combinations.

Don't be too put off by worries over cheap Chinese this that and the other .  If it helps get you going; you can always buy a different one later on.  I started on 20 key Anglo, but mine was made in the GDR ( shows how long ago it was!)... Carry on learning to play it... And welcome to the world of free reed instruments!

Edited by SIMON GABRIELOW
Annoyingly tiny phone keyboard makes typing awkward!

3 hours ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

Yes, it is an anglo style, two rows.  20 buttons ( 40 notes)! They do often come in C and G major; although sometimes in other key combinations.

Don't be too put off by worries over cheap Chinese this that and the other .  If it helps get you going; you can always buy a different one later on.  I started on 20 key Anglo, but mine was made in the GDR ( shows how long ago it was!)... Carry on learning to play it... And welcome to the world of free reed instruments!

Yep, I also started on one that I presume came from the GDR. My next was a badly neglected Lachenal on which the leaks had been plugged with toilet paper.

Small quibble; most 20 button boxes have rather fewer than 40 different notes.

Thanks for the replies.  I did receive it and it is mostly playable, although the buttons feel a bit sunken and one note doesn't play at all.  One of the reeds is out of tune also.  In comparing it with the Chinese "Sunrise" concertina, it is a little bit quieter but very similar in responsiveness.  I will say that the older Italian one seems a bit easier to play - the reeds seem to sound with less force.  

So far, I can play a c and a g scale, Turkey in the Straw, and Amazing grace.  I really like the concertina and I find it motivating to learn.  I play a number of other instruments (guitar, banjo, lute, baroque guitar, ukulele, and mandolin, recorder, concert zither) but have been having problems with the string instruments due to some neurological issues.  I don't seem to have this issues due to the positioning of the concertina while playing.  My goal is to learn some sea shanties to play and sing with the Anglo, and maybe give an English or Duet a try with some classical music.  

Looking forward to learning more!

• 2 weeks later...