Playing concertina in space!

On 4/7/2022 at 6:51 PM, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

So, what would happen, assuming I was astronaut doing spacewalk, happening to have ( in my back pack).. a little concertina... Would that vacuum of space cause it to crumple up, ( no air to contain within bellows)..and so  release one last note, lost in the void, that may never be heard? Being, apparently mostly airless?!!! Or maybe that lost soulful note could travel for ever into blackness, and get  picked up by a musical alien person, on a distant planet somewhere as yet unknown!

4 minutes ago, Pistachio Dreamer said:

Any remaining air in the bellows would not have the corresponding external air pressure to contain it, so it would apply some pretty large forces to the insides of the instrument in a bid to escape. The bellows would probably swell up and rupture, how explosively depends on how much air was inside and if any keys were pressed to allow it to escape. After it had equalised, I suspect you could open and close the bellows at will, whether or not any keys were pressed, and that not only would there be no sound, but neither would the reeds oscillate. A grim prospect for any concertina player, but others might disagree!

I have, several times in these forums, mentioned that at outdoor winter festivals where my Morris dancers perform, I wear glove liners while playing the concertina. They keep my hands (reasonably) warm and only minimally interfere with my ability to play uncomplicated Morris tunes.

But think of the gloves astronauts must wear while doing a spacewalk. I doubt that they’d fit through the hand straps or thumb loops, let alone allow single buttons to be pressed.

adult-s-astronaut-gloves-white~13824780

• Like 1

There's an idea then; why bother with expensive rocket fuel when all you need to travel through universe is.. a humble concertina. Powered along by inflating, then by button or certain movements of bellows.. until it expands, finally exploding; and by force of the rupture, so driving along the astronaut on an eternal journey by silent music...!😁😁😁😁

There's an idea then; why bother with expensive rocket fuel when all you need to travel through universe is.. a humble concertina. Powered along by inflating, then by button or certain movements of bellows.. until it expands, finally exploding; and by force of the rupture, so driving along the astronaut on an eternal journey by silent music...!😁😁😁😁

18 hours ago, Pistachio Dreamer said:

Any remaining air in the bellows would not have the corresponding external air pressure to contain it, so it would apply some pretty large forces to the insides of the instrument in a bid to escape. The bellows would probably swell up and rupture, how explosively depends on how much air was inside and if any keys were pressed to allow it to escape. After it had equalised, I suspect you could open and close the bellows at will, whether or not any keys were pressed, and that not only would there be no sound, but neither would the reeds oscillate. A grim prospect for any concertina player, but others might disagree!

That would be true for a sudden change of pressure from a normal level to zero; but that is an extreme scenario. If the astronaut goes out through an air lock, the pressure reduction would be slower and the air would have time to get out, lifting the pads slightly if necessary.

But anyway the OP was about a concertina inside a space station, with zero gravity but normal air.

Our big chief ( gligglug)..

Greetings earth people; I have hijacked this human man's file to wish you all mighty greetings from planet Biflat; outside your own solar system, it is a square planet, with 2 suns, and a bit boring actually.  Yesterday was great commotion from our residents when landed upon our heads, small hexagonal box with studs on it, which made tremendous noises.

It filled us with joy to hear it speak, like a voice, and it sang to  us!I

I think you call it C-o-n-c-e-r-t-i-n-a?

well, it was better than, been walloped on the head with a meteorite. 

How do you make it talk? I stood on it accidentally, and think I hurt it; cause it squealed something awfull?

Your message to us will be replied to, but may take 100 years to get here; we're rather far away..

signing off .. planet Biflat.

ps; this guy's profile has now been handed back to him in meantime.

signed Gluckluk.. 

On 4/12/2022 at 11:44 AM, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

Yes.  my concertina and I can go wherever our imaginations would like to take us.  There is a very old song about this but I haven't finished writing it yet.

Edited by wunks

1 hour ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

Our big chief ( gligglug)..

Greetings earth people; I have hijacked this human man's file to wish you all mighty greetings from planet Biflat; outside your own solar system, it is a square planet, with 2 suns, and a bit boring actually.  Yesterday was great commotion from our residents when landed upon our heads, small hexagonal box with studs on it, which made tremendous noises.

It filled us with joy to hear it speak, like a voice, and it sang to  us!I

I think you call it C-o-n-c-e-r-t-i-n-a?

well, it was better than, been walloped on the head with a meteorite. 

How do you make it talk? I stood on it accidentally, and think I hurt it; cause it squealed something awfull?

Your message to us will be replied to, but may take 100 years to get here; we're rather far away..

signing off .. planet Biflat.

ps; this guy's profile has now been handed back to him in meantime.

signed Gluckluk.. 

So what's your asking price got any pictures?

On 4/14/2022 at 4:55 PM, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

I wish to point out that I have put my previous comments on space subject in ( Enters into debate) twice, a mistake; or possibly due time distortion effect, by being caught inside a nebula on a space mission!!

😄😄

There's no such thing as time.

Greeting Master Wunks; I Gligglug of planet Biflat;  respond to earthling ask what's my asking price for crash landed concertina thing?

Would take long time to arrange payment; [several hundred years] as long way off in space from you!

[Was much preferring concertina to that last offering on Viking satellite mechanism; as it seemed to us that everyone on earth image was wearing flared jeans, had long hair, and still seemed eternally fixed in the 1970's ...]

As you can see have put picture on here; but due to Gluggites physical characteristics [ difficult to play concertina!  

ugug2.JPG