Columbia Pneumatic Leathers - CPL

A recent thread on Pad Materials discussed Columbia Pneumatic Leather (CPL) from the Columbia Organ Leathers company for use in making new pads.

https://www.columbiaorgan.com/columbia-leather-home/products/leather-skins/

They have a bewildering array of different leathers available, but perhaps the CPL is the most appealing because it is available in small pieces. This is what is on their web-site for CPL:

image.png.9323d83524dd6a6e11fd6932809cc6a0.png

Can any of these leathers be used for concertina valves?  If so, what thickness is recommended?

Can any of these leathers be used for patching worn ridges on bellows? Again, what thickness is recommended?

Yes to valves. I use heavy and x-heavy for small and medium valves. I have some different thicker hair sheep leather from another supplier that I use for large valves. I bought a skin of Columbia's "valve" leather to try it, but I haven't had much luck with using it for concertina valves as it isn't springy enough.

I have used medium CPL on the inside of bellows to patch small holes in gussets. Technically it might work on the outside, but it would look out of place because it's light grey and doesn't have a glossy surface. I use very thinly skived goatskin for exterior patches.

I've stumbled upon a trove of perhaps 50 rolled skins of various thicknesses, colors, finishes etc..  Some are tagged and labeled, and some (mostly black) are packaged pieces of around 8"x10"x2"/pkg.  I had a brief conversation with the owner  who says he brought them from Arizona years ago so they aren't leftovers from the once thriving tanning industry in these parts.  To my untrained eye they look like high quality material.  they are very reasonably priced.  I need to be educated as to appropriate types and grades etc. for concertina construction.  Is pneumatic (hair sheep) leather required and how would one tell?

When cutting valves it is important to note that leather can have a grain. You can't usually cut the leather for valves any direction. If you cut in one direction you will get springiness, but not if you cut in another direction. Check this out with a small piece before cutting valves. At least this has been my experience. This is not to say all leather types of leather are appropriate for valves.

13 hours ago, alex_holden said:

I use heavy and x-heavy for small and medium valves.

How big is small, medium and large?

I have a tenor-treble that needs new valves, that largest (for C3) is about 1.25" (32mm) long, is this large?

20 minutes ago, Don Taylor said:

How big is small, medium and large?

I have a tenor-treble that needs new valves, that largest (for C3) is about 1.25" (32mm) long, is this large?

In my experience that's too large for x-heavy CPL. Maybe their "valve" weight will work for you.