Any Chidley Duet concertina players out there?

I have a 80-button Wheatstone Chidley duet concertina. I believe only 50-60 of these were ever made. The button layout is the same as a MacCann but the layout of notes is the same for every octave. My Chidley has a 5 octave range from C2. (See http://www.concertina.com /chidley-duet )
I just wondered if there is anyone else on Concertina.net who plays this system.

Peter

C0C8BBC2-7A9C-4293-B571-D056853D7C29.jpeg

34A3A148-6A85-462B-BF7B-CB580923D587.jpeg

A837D064-A9D3-4BC6-9257-D768617C57AB.jpeg

Edited by Peter Smith
Additional photos

Thanks, Alex, for correcting the link for Chidley layout.

I think it’s quite impressive. It doesn’t have the build quality of the earlier Wheastones, having a hook and lever action, rather than riveted. A couple of additional pictures below showing some of the internals. I think the concertina is dated in the 1950’s.

668E2044-E158-492A-8C7D-B83D3B2965C9.jpeg

2C486207-339B-4B8F-A8F0-C21331DF5DBD.jpeg

• Thanks 1

The aluminium reed shoes also help with the weight. Its is still quite sizeable, weighing in at 3.275kg and measuring 27.5cm across the flats. The Wheatstone Chidley concertina is number 36349, built in December 1956, when I was 3!!

I would still be interested to know whether any other Chidley duets still exist & are played.

I wonder if some have been converted to MacCanns.

• Peter Smith changed the title to Any Chidley Duet concertina players out there?
On 12/23/2021 at 9:15 AM, Peter Smith said:

Thanks for posting this. 

Could you post some pictures and tell me a bit about its range and history?

Thanks

Peter

I assume you meant me. I bought this from Barleycorn about 12 years ago. It was restored and in excellent condition. I wanted it for playing backup but i hardly ever used it. I would be interested in selling if anyone is interested.

Chidley baratone 2.JPG

Chidley baratone 3.JPG

Chidley baratone.JPG

4 hours ago, fred v said:

I assume you meant me. I bought this from Barleycorn about 12 years ago. It was restored and in excellent condition. I wanted it for playing backup but i hardly ever used it. I would be interested in selling if anyone is interested.

Chidley baratone 2.JPG

Chidley baratone 3.JPG

Chidley baratone.JPG

Your concertina looks really good. Maybe worth putting it on Concertina.net Buy & Sell.

As Stephen Chambers says, its a Rock Chidley English Baritone rather than  K V Chidley Duet. I have amended the title of this discussion to avoid further confusion.

Peter

7 hours ago, Little John said:

As the Chidley layout seems much more sensible, I'd have thought the temptation would be to go the other way: convert Maccanns to Chidley!

I agree. It does seem logical & sometime the buttons seem to fall in the right places.

I am really interested to see whether any other Chidleys survive & are played.

The only other one I found on Concertina.net was a Lachenal Chidley - which was believed to be original - not a converted MacCann. Its serial number was in the 60,000's. (Link below to part of the discussion in 2011).