JG

JayG

Hello,

I have found an old 48 key Lachenal concertina (serial number 49771) and have an opportunity to purchase it for less then $300. My dilemma is that I know nothing about them, would be buying as a gift and have no idea how much repair would be needed. It looks a bit rough. Has some “ghost?” Notes.  I know that isn’t much to work with but wound still be happy to hear your thoughts on if I should take the gamble. 

If the reeds are steel, it might be useful as a source of reeds.  However, even that may be a risk. Some Lachenals had reeds which were fairly good and some, in my experience, you could "drive a truck though." If the instrument was not a mahogany or rosewood model, but was made of ebony it might have a chance to have better reeds.

It's almost impossible to appraise a Lachenal from that basic description.  Lachenal made a wide range of different qualities.  When fully renovated the present day values in the UK might range from  £400 to £3,000.   If it looks "a bit rough"  then professional renovation costs could easily range from £400 up to double that.  Chances are that the one you have been offered is one of the cheaper models just because they were made in huge numbers compared to the good quality ones.    It doesn't sound to me like a good choice for a gift.