Modern English Concertina Makers?

When I heard from Holmwood while compiling the page, I was given to understand that Holmwood (as opposed to Homewood) has no web presence, hence no link.  If I am mistaken I would appreciate the info for the Buyer's Guide

They don't have a web site, but they do have an address and phone number, and that is in the FAQ.

Chris

And it was Chris himself who kindly passed along this info to me at the time. Thanks as always. Will have to dig up the info on Marcus and add it. Regards,

Ken

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris, I have checked out the Marcus website and find no mention of an English 37 button.  I would love to see and hear one.

We saw it at Sidmouth last year. They had one on display and were giving out flyers with order details. I got Anne to give it a squeeze. She liked it. Perhaps they forgot or didn't get round to updating their web site.

Chris

To my way of thinking, Jeff has a fine point...I own both modern (1 year old) and vintage (1970's) vehicles....as Jim Lucas suggest they ALL require maintanence, but the older ones are frankly, money pits, regardless of brand and quality. Also: at 2am, in a rainstorm, and running late...which would YOU take you wife to the hospital in? Sometimes vintage just isn't practical (an me an antiques dealer!)

Greg

Can't agree with you Greg as regards concertinas. A well maintained or restored vintage instrument is highly dependable. Don't judge British engineering on any Triumph or BSA bikes from the 60' or worse 70's you may have tried to restore. That was a different time.

Added observation: After me darlin' made me get rid of my vintage Mercedes for a new Passat I was left wondering when in the first winter of my ownership of a great new car, the coils on the engine went out one by one leaving me stranded and of course the technology was so advanced, I was helpless until the tow truck arrived :( . At least with the vintage Mercedes I had a nice complement of spare parts in the trunk (boot) along with a monster tool kit!

Edited by Mark Evans

I might ask you whether you feel that you should be discarded when you achieve "vintage" status. :ph34r:

Haha! Is that why everyone is gettin' the vapors over this?

I just don't want to spend money on something, only to send it off for restoration and wait six months to play it. I've read countless messages from people here who say stuff like, "when I get my X back from the shop...". Furthermore, I get no pleasure from owning vintage stuff. I know some people dig antiques, and I can even understand why, but beyond the novelty factor, playing a 100 yr. old instrument does nothing for me. Function is the only thing that's important to me.

It's okay Jeff. Whatever works for you is cool with everyone here fer sure.

If you ever get your hands on a vintage EC all will be made clear as it is when a violinist has their first opportunity to play a few licks on a middle of the road vintage instrument.

I never had to send my old 'Stone anywhere for anything. It just worked like the Everyready Bunny day in, day out till I sold it. :)

Edited by Mark Evans

If you ever get your hands on a vintage EC all will be made clear

I've played vintage mandolins, so I know all about the special character a 100 yr. old instrument can have. Or are you saying there's something fundamentally different about ECs? Maybe I'm wrong; maybe vintage concertinas really aren't the hassle that other vintage instruments are. I'm willing to accept that, but not until I see some evidence.

So how about all of you loan me your best vintage ECs? :D

I might ask you whether you feel that you should be discarded when you achieve "vintage" status. :ph34r:

Haha! Is that why everyone is gettin' the vapors over this?

Haha!, yourself. :angry: No, it's not.

At least in my case, what annoys me (and yes, it does annoy me) is your consistent implication/assumption that all vintage things, simply because of their age, are necessarily in need of both immediate and constant repair. When it comes to quality concertinas, nothing could be further from the truth, and it irks me that you falsely malign them.

I just don't want to spend money on something, only to send it off for restoration and wait six months to play it.

Then buy from a reputable dealer, who will sell you something that doesn't need restoration. It's that simple.

I've read countless messages from people here who say stuff like, "when I get my X back from the shop...".

Well, I doubt that there are many folks who would bother to post, "Well, it's just been another 6 months of my 1912-vintage concertina not needing anything done to it, and that adds up to 15 years, 4 months, and 9 days of totally maintenance-free pleasure since I bought it." But you know what? There are many of us with instruments about which such things can be said.

...beyond the novelty factor, playing a 100 yr. old instrument does nothing for me.  Function is the only thing that's important to me.

Precisely why so many of us treasure our vintage concertinas. They function beautifully. And -- if properly cared for -- they require no repairs of adjustments, not just for years, but for decades.

Of course, not all vintage instruments are are either top quality or in top condition, and that's why we recommend that someone with your standards not consider buying from any but the most reputable sources.

if properly cared for -- they require no repairs of adjustments, not just for years, but for decades.

If properly cared for, a 1934 Packard will require no repairs or adjustments either.....if properly cared for.

Why does this bother you so much? You should be happy that I'm leaving more vintage instruments for the rest of you to pick from.

If properly cared for, a 1934 Packard will require no repairs or adjustments either.....if properly cared for.

Keep the concertina and sign me up for that Packard!!! B)

As for the old BSA's and Triumphs, send me those , too.. can't ever have too many, I say!

Greg

Greg, in my heart I'd like to have my old Triumph back, but not in my head. That thing leaked oil...have mercy.

A guy pulled up on campus yesterday on a BSA 441 Victor...I always loved that gas tank ;) but the blue smoke...oh no!

Jeff, there is something different about a quality, cared for vintage concertina in function and sound (for me also smell...I've recieved looks for smelling a concertina first). There are times I become so overwhelmed when holding one that I actually tear up.

I used to wonder about who had owned and played my Aeola before I got it from Grey Larson. Who had worked on it before Mr. Crabb restored it in the 70's? Whose hands had written each note lovingly at it's proper place in the reed pan? Who built this wonderful instrument in 1921? What kind of musics were played on this 64 note tenor/treble that I sometimes dream I'm still playing.

If it ain't yo' thing...it ain't.

I've played vintage mandolins, so I know all about the special character a 100 yr. old instrument can have.

Haha ! But there lies the difference !

Most people would reckon that a c.1905 mandolin was made twenty years before the instrument was perfected, and prone to some problems that later instruments don't have.

Or are you saying there's something fundamentally different about ECs?

Whereas a c.1905 EC was made at around the absolute peak of design, materials and quality in production. You really cannot buy a better concertina than those made between about 1895-1915 (and I say that even though my present one was made in 1926 ! :huh: ), and I doubt if any modern maker will ever equal, let alone surpass them.

Maybe I'm wrong; maybe vintage concertinas really aren't the hassle that other vintage instruments are.

If you buy an instrument that has been well cared for, or well restored, it will last your lifetime and give you many years of trouble-free service, not forgetting great joy.

I used to have a fabulous 1910 Æola that was "one owner from new", and was still in the same condition it left the factory in. It was still playing perfectly when I sold it after twenty years (I needed the money to buy a car), and never gave any trouble. I wish I still had it now ! :(

I will just add that several of the people recommending vintage concertinas to you are also the owners of new models. I think that speaks for itself ...

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Greg, in my heart I'd like to have my old Triumph back, but not in my head. That thing leaked oil...have mercy.

Mine has never had a rebuild (It's on the list) and it leaks about 1 Tbsp of oil a month. Less, actually if I ride it often. It's a solid, rideable 2-kick bike. I still keep a modern bike, and newer cars in addition to my TR6 and my '66 Imperial convertible....if I had to give any up, I would definitely keep the modern gear. :(

Actually, if you want a real thrill, you should try my Harley Sportster 1200...bored to 1275, 43mm carb bigger exhaust, and somewhat lightened. It'll eat the old Bonnie alive, and keeps up nicely with just about any cruiser or standard type bike around. Crotch rockets are a different story....I'm too old to be ridiing around in that position, anyway...

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic thread! :rolleyes:

if properly cared for -- they require no repairs of adjustments, not just for years, but for decades.

Quite true. Though proper care for the Packard is far more work than for a concertina, unless in both cases you lock them away and don't use them.

Why does this bother you so much?

What bothers me -- as I believe I said quite clearly -- is not that you aren't interested in vintage concertinas, but that you blame them for your disinterest. As various others have pointed out -- though less bluntly, -- you accuse them falsely.

You should be happy that I'm leaving more vintage instruments for the rest of you to pick from.

As I give it more thought, I am happy, but not because I think your not buying a vintage instrument will significantly impact the availability of instruments for the rest of us. Rather, your description of your experience with the vintage mandolin and your further comments regarding "care" lead me to suspect that you would neglect even the simplest of care for an instrument, and I wouldn't want that to happen to a fine concertina.

So I'll be happy to let you go your way, and I'll go mine.

I've played vintage mandolins, so I know all about the special character a 100 yr. old instrument can have.

Haha ! But there lies the difference !

Most people would reckon that a c.1905 mandolin was made twenty years before the instrument was perfected, and prone to some problems that later instruments don't have.

Or are you saying there's something fundamentally different about ECs?

Whereas a c.1905 EC was made at around the absolute peak of design, materials and quality in production. You really cannot buy a better concertina than those made between about 1895-1915 (and I say that even though my present one was made in 1926 ! :huh: ), and I doubt if any modern maker will ever equal, let alone surpass them.

Maybe I'm wrong; maybe vintage concertinas really aren't the hassle that other vintage instruments are.

If you buy an instrument that has been well cared for, or well restored, it will last your lifetime and give you many years of trouble-free service, not forgetting great joy.

I used to have a fabulous 1910 Æola that was "one owner from new", and was still in the same condition it left the factory in. It was still playing perfectly when I sold it after twenty years (I needed the money to buy a car), and never gave any trouble. I wish I still had it now ! :(

I will just add that several of the people recommending vintage concertinas to you are also the owners of new models. I think that speaks for itself ...

I wholeheartedly agree that there is something about a vintage instrument that is hard to find in a new instrument.

Interestingly enough Stephen, I think you were once the owner of my ebony-ended Wheatstone EC #23235 made circa 1904. I came across your card in the box.

Pete

Interestingly enough Stephen, I think you were once the owner of my ebony-ended Wheatstone EC #23235 made circa 1904. I came across your card in the box.

Pete,

The serial number certainly rings a bell, but it's probably from 20-odd years ago. Is it black, or a very dark brown with lighter flecks in the grain ?

The 1910 Æola was #25045, and it was absolutely the best instrument I have ever played, but I have high hopes for the best-hexagonal "Special" #25100, made less than a month later, which I bought in wrecked condition a while ago and hope to restore soon.