Concertina In Barcelona

aeolina

While in Barcelona I encountered this poster at the soccer museum in the Camp Nou stadium.

I know nothing about it, but it is intriguing.

If it really is a faithful reproduction of a real instrument -- as it appears to be, -- it's an English with some interesting features.

I saw a framed version of this same poster in the Restaurant in the Chicago Airport Hilton about a year ago. I asked if anyone else had noticed it in this forum, but no one replied.

It looked to me like the Chicago poster was an antique, and not a reproduction. It was behind glass though. It is very large and of an appropriate size for a theater marquee.

Also I seem to remember the Chicago version having more text on it, but that it said nothing specific. There is no question that the Concertina (English wood ended with a definite, but unreadable maker’s badge) was drawn from life or a photo. As I recall even the player's fingers were located correctly.

Dan Madden

I don't get it. How come everybody can see the poster except me? Where is it?

Just like David I do not see a poster. The first three messages suggest that there was a visible attachment. :(

This is most curious.

At first I saw neither image nor link. So I sent Stuart an email to say so, thinking he might have made a mistake and neglected to check the result.

A few minutes later I went back to the same Topic (at least I thought it was the same), and the image was there. Even before getting my email, I thought, he had noticed the problem and fixed it. (I don't remember seeing an "Edited" message, but I wasn't looking for one, so I can't be sure whether there was one.) I viewed the image and replied. I'm sorry now that I didn't download a copy.

But later, when I read Dan Madden's response, the image was again not there. What's more, there was definitely no system message saying that the post had been edited, which would have been as necessary to remove the image as to add it. Two changes, but no acknowledgement by the Forum software that either had occurred.

Meanwhile, there is a second Topic, which was originally identical to the first in everything except posting time. So my first two views might have been of separate Topics, rather than the same one. But now they can be distinguished by having different replies, yet neither one has an image or link, and neither one -- in particular the one where Dan and I both viewed the image before replying -- is marked as ever having been edited. Nor does the source code for either one indicate either an image or a link.

So how did that first post get changed -- at least twice, by my experience -- without the Forum software recording the fact? And what happened to the image? I'd like to hear from Stuart as to what exactly he did. Did he simply post once (or twice, once for each of two Topics), including the image, and forget about it, with the subsequent changes being none of his doing? Or did he edit his post one or more times? Either way, there seems to be something in the Forum software's behavior in this instance that is inconsistent with its usual behavior.

I can't see it either, but its given me a new way to use attachments. Click on my controls, and look at the recently viewed list. If you click on this, it opens a window containing the attachment. In the case of Stuart's attachment, it opens an empty window, so the software thinks its there.

I looked at the text of Stuart E's post using my superuser mode, and as of 11:12 A.M. GMT/UT (7:12 AM US Eastern Daylight Time) there is _no_ image (or any other file) linked. That field is blank, at least what the system showed me.

I looked at the text of Stuart E's post using my superuser mode, and as of 11:12 A.M. GMT/UT (7:12 AM US Eastern Daylight Time) there is _no_ image (or any other file) linked.  That field is blank, at least what the system showed me.

But is was there. I saw it.

Can you perhaps find an "orphaned" attachment file which was created about the same time, and shows painting of a man playing an English concertina (the detail includes even the end bolts) with a sunburst-like pattern in the background? Or if the file has been deleted, at least a "hole" in the attachment numbering sequence?

Henk seems to have demonstrated that deleting an image from a post does not elicit the "Edited" message from the system, but deleting the attachment file does.

Meanwhile, I think it would be very helpful to get from Stuart an account of what he did, and what he saw at each step. In particular, did he delete the image? Because if not, there's a serious puzzle as to where it went.

I can't see it either, but its given me a new way to use attachments. Click on my controls, and look at the recently viewed list. If you click on this, it opens a window containing the attachment. In the case of Stuart's attachment,  it opens an empty window, so the software thinks its there.

At first that didn't seem to work. Then tried clicking on the little paper-clip icon that indicates the post has an attachement. Then I got the blank window.

When I looked at the link address for that icon, it ends with "##". I guess this would normally be followed by the attachment number.

The other posts in my "Recently Read" list don't have that little paper clip. So something in the system seems to remeber that there once was an attachment.

I was of the impression that the poster in the museum was original and not a reproduction but wasn't able to get real close.

It certainly has the appearance of an original, having (rusted ?) drawing pin holes in the corners, plus people don't fold up large posters like that these days.

And doing a bit of Googling, it seems to be part of a series. Here's another Roca Musical poster, said to date from the 1910's, playing sleighbells this time (and available from Barnes & Noble) :

post-436-1113585779_thumb.jpg

There is also a listing of an accordion version on Robert Santiago's site.

He seems to have been a French performer, and the posters, printed by the stone lithographic process, would remind me strongly of Percy Honri posters that I have from the same period.

Edited to add image ! ;)

Edited by Stephen Chambers