duet concertina in a 30 button anglo body - need suggestions

hello.

so I've messaged Paul about the creation of a 3d printed concertina which he said would take to the end of 

christmas. realistically I'm looking for an duet concertina with either the macann , jefries , crane or something similar

to the shape of the buttons of an ergonomic anglo. that being said he can only produce this sort of a concertina up

to 30 buttons. I'm trying to come up with a layout so that I can play 5 chords with both their majors and minors.

F,C,G,D,A the reason for this being that I play alot of songs that require 5 chords but as said I need both the major and

minor chord eg. c major and c minor. I'm also looking for the note 1 octave below each chord for an oom pa pa

my Idea was to try and create a layout that allowed me to play in any keys but due to the lack of buttons trying to come up

with a layout is becoming quite difficult. I've also had the idea that the thirds of the chords could be bisonoric so that I can play

eg. E on the push for a c major and Eb on the pull for a c minor. with both the root and the fith remaining unisonoric. I'm not against the

idea of playing in a certain key or a few keys

the reason for trying to do this is I'm looking for a duet but the asking price is crazy high for what i'd be looking for and if I

wasn't a fan then I'd have a niche , expensive instrument to sell.

thanks for the help

Here's the layout of the smallest-known Jeffries Duet, 27 buttons, home key of C. It has the chords you're looking for, and if you expand it to 30-buttons I would highly recommend the low F, G, A, for the oompahs. It would be nice to have the high d' and e' too if there is room. 

Gary

JD-27-layout.pdf

Edited by gcoover
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2020 at 8:39 PM, accordian said:

the reason for trying to do this is I'm looking for a duet but the asking price is crazy high for what i'd be looking for and if I

wasn't a fan then I'd have a niche , expensive instrument to sell.

Most people would not consider the cost of an Elise Hayden duet to be "crazy high", and if you didn't like it you could probably sell it quite easily. Similarly if you were to buy a Crane or Maccann duet it should be easy to sell if it doesn't suit you.

On the other hand Jeffries duets are not much in demand, and those who do play them will probably want a bigger and more versatile instrument than a 30 button. So if this doesn't suit you it could be difficult to sell.