Wheatstone ebony-ended 48 key pinhole Aeola baritone

conzertino

PH1.thumb.jpg.b6a06bc17e9b706b1debf1ff6d7f89ed.jpg

I'm selling a very rare, if not unique, six-sided Wheatstone Aeola Baritone. Before Wheatstone started to make eight-sided Aeolas as their top-range-instruments they made a couple of six-sided ones which have the name "Aeola" stamped into the wood.They all have very limited fretwork ( referred to as "dot &comma" or "pinhole" ) resulting in a typical unusual soft and mellow sound. This instrument is in baritone-range, one octave below normal treble. The serial number is 22664 ( around 1900 ). It has ebonised ends, 48 metal keys ( a few are not original! ) and steel-reeds in Aluminum-frames. It has been restored many years ago by Crabb with new six-fold bellows and a new case. It is in concert-pitch and plays well with a full and deep, but not too loud, sound - ideal for chamber-music or song accompaniment! I'm asking 3250€ or 2900 Pound or 3850$. Located in Germany.

I listed the instrument on ebay.de: Link

• Like 1

About  45  years ago  I  bought a  Treble  version of  this  model  in one of  those  second hand shops  that  specialize in musical instruments, cameras  and  sound  equipment.  Lucky for me  the  owner  knew  nothing about old  squeeze boxes  and  I  paid  £8  for  it.  It  was a lovely thing,  completely  original, had  a  really  good set of  reeds   but it was  far too quiet  for  the  noisy  young man  that I was  then.  I  sold it  to  Steve  Dickenson  in some  trade  for  repair work.  Those  fine reeds  had  Brass  frames  as  does  my  current  'band'  Treble, made  just 31  instruments  later  than  the  subject of  this  thread.  So,  can  we assume  the  reeds  in  this  Baritone  are  replacements   made at  the  time of  the  Crabb  restoration ?

Very  interested but    I  still require  a  decent  growl  from  my  concertinas .

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Until a couple of weeks ago I had the matching treble pinhole Aeola. I picked it up in Canada and had it restored twice - with seven-fold new bellows ( replacing 4-fold replacements ). I had to give it away to a friend... ( sad ). Now I don't want the barry anymore.

On 8/26/2020 at 1:17 PM, Geoff Wooff said:

About  45  years ago  I  bought a  Treble  version of  this  model  in one of  those  second hand shops  that  specialize in musical instruments, cameras  and  sound  equipment.  Lucky for me  the  owner  knew  nothing about old  squeeze boxes  and  I  paid  £8  for  it.  It  was a lovely thing,  completely  original, had  a  really  good set of  reeds   but it was  far too quiet  for  the  noisy  young man  that I was  then.  I  sold it  to  Steve  Dickenson  in some  trade  for  repair work.  Those  fine reeds  had  Brass  frames  as  does  my  current  'band'  Treble, made  just 31  instruments  later  than  the  subject of  this  thread.  So,  can  we assume  the  reeds  in  this  Baritone  are  replacements   made at  the  time of  the  Crabb  restoration ?

Very  interested but    I  still require  a  decent  growl  from  my  concertinas .

The reeds must surely be replacements from some time, most likely the Crabb restoration. Back around 1900, wasn't Aluminium a rare and expensive material?

9 hours ago, Richard Mellish said:

The reeds must surely be replacements from some time, most likely the Crabb restoration. Back around 1900, wasn't Aluminium a rare and expensive material?

Whilst  I  can  imagine  someone  might  wish  to  lighten  the  larger  reeds of  a baritone  by  using  Aluminium  for  the frames    I  also think it  unlikely  they  are  original , certainly  at  that period.  It  would appear  that  Wheatstone  thinking   was in transition  during the  last  years of the 19th  century. Prior to   about 1890  the  English  concertina was much  as it  had  been  for  the  previous  40 years,  a parlor  instrument  with  wooden  ends  and  baffles.  Then along came  the  Lachenal  'New Model' having  some  tone  chamber  and  action box modifications  that  gave  it  a bolder  tone  and  improved response .  I  can imagine  the  designers  at  Wheatstone   having to   up their game   in the face of  fierce competition.  Developing  the  hexagonal  Aeola,  shoving  out  the  boundaries   in two  directions  , the  pin hole  is  very  quiet  and the  metal  ended version    really  sings  out  in an  uncompromising   fashion,   an  example being  Alistair Anderson's  'Boyd' Wheatstone.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

My 1927 baritone Aeola was made as a lightweight for the  lady who ordered it  and is the best one I have ever played ,owned or had through my hands and there are several players  who have played that would agree with me. I might be interested in making an offer on the plnhole in a week or so ,if it has not been sold by then.

Mike 

The instrument has been sold ( through another platform ) and is on it's way to Britain - to the man who deserves it best...

Mike, I have an amazing 1926 EE Aeola baritone ( plus a metal ended 48 key baritone plus a 64 key Amboyna and gold-ended one ? 

Edited by conzertino