Are There Piano Accordion Forums?

I need the exact web site for rec.music. I had to go in from a web search and I only got the concertina fact part, not the threads. I know I stumbled upon it once before. Putting in what David had was not enough.
What exactly is a newsreader?

Is it a program?

How does one get to these conferences?

Newsgroups (USENET) are not web sites and don't have URLs.

To read them, you don't use a browser, you use a newsreader (I'm told that the newer browsers can do it, but on AOL, the newsreader is a seperate module, and that's all I know).

A newsreader must have come with the software that you started interacting with your ISP with. You need to get into it and subscribe to:

rec.music.makers.squeezebox

If that's not clear enough (and I concede it might not be), try googling "newsreader" or "usenet" and see if someone else has explained it better.

What exactly is a newsreader? Is it a program?

It is a program to interface with news servers, most commonly Outlook Express.

How does one get to these conferences?

Once you have a newsreader it needs to connect to a news server, your ISP will have one, and then you subscribe to what ever newsgroup you like. The newsreader will collect a list of available newsgroups from the news server when you first connect.

OR

Alternately the news groups are available through Google by clicking on the Groups tab.

You can also access rec.music.makers.squeezebox as an e-mail list through yahoo groups. Go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/squeezebox/

You'll get the messages as e-mail and can to respond to them as such. They are the same messages that appear on the newsgroup. The gateway between the two formats is maintained by DoN Nichols, and occasionally it fails in one direction or the other.

Sorry I didn't have this info for you earlier. I knew there was an e-mail side, but I didn't know how to get at it.

I knew there was an e-mail side, but I didn't know how to get at it.

The "e-mail side" is just a different way of getting at/viewing the newsgroup.

But most email "clients" that I've tried -- the programs you use to read and send emails -- are *also* newsreaders (and news senders). Search for "newsgroups" or just "news" in the Help on your email program, and see what it tells you.

But most email "clients" that I've tried -- the programs you use to read and send emails -- are *also* newsreaders (and news senders). Search for "newsgroups" or just "news" in the Help on your email program, and see what it tells you.

Yeah, that's the kind of stuff I know nothing about.

Helen -- Check out this site:

http://www.accordionlinks.com/index.cfm

I found this on Mudcat. If you want more, go to:http://www.mudcat.org/threads.cfm, scroll down until you see a thread with accordion in the title. When you open it, you'll find links to all of the accordion discussions at that site.

Have fun -- Tom

Edited by Tom Hall

Thanks Tom, they were fun. The mudcat one had a whole thread on using the piano accordion for Celtic music, including Irish music, which was quite illuminating.

Evidently in Scottish music, PA is quite the instrument, but there was a lengthy thread on using the PA for Irish music.

Again, Thanks.

Helen

Hi Jay,

Nice site. I take it there are no discussions started yet on PA, is that correct? I did see your pictures. Was that the Herrington with Edgley 24 button layout?

Do you love it? I've been saving up for an Edgley 24 or 30, bouncing between the two. (which is ok as I still need to save more money!) (reasonably priced, I just am getting there slowly.)

Helen

Yes, that's the Herrington "Edgley Special". I like it just fine, although as a newbie I'm having a bit of a problem extrapolating from the tutors and tapes that are for 30-buttons.

I think I'll appreciate it more later, after I can *really* play. Meanwhile I still have my 30-button Bastari to help me with learning.

If you already know your way around on an anglo, mostly play Irish tunes, and want to save money then I recommend the 24-button. Mine was $250 less than the 30 button cost.

I've been bad about practising, though- I've been paying more attention to my accordion lately. Hope the 'tina doesn't get too jealous. ;)

-Jay

Well, Jay,

I'm no great shakes at the concertina yet, but I do know my way around the Anglo and like a lot of Irish music. I do hope to play other music too. So wonder if I'll want the other buttons for other types of music. Although the other buttons don't look like ones that are often used. But what do I know?

I. too, am neglecting the concertina to play the piano accordion. I keep them in different parts of the house. Hoping the concertina hasn't figured out what's going on yet.

What type of accordion do you play? Cajun? You had a lot of Cajun stuff on your website.

Helen