Bazhow

Hi All.  I have an 1853 Wheatstone english in which the righthand low 'b' reeds have virtually given up, on draw or push in the 'tina, though I can get some sound out of them in the tuning rig. I do not play it, I just "exercise" it weekly, to keep it playable. It had been "restored" previously by someone else. I bought it as a keepsake, as it is virtually a twin to my late grandfather's 1852 model, which my niece owns & plays. Reeds are brass in brass frames. Would anyone recommend transferring the actual reeds only from frame to frame from an old Lachenal english to the Wheatstone, as the frames are stamped with the note letters & numbers & I do not want to lose them. I can "tune" them to match the Wheatstone ones which are quite a few cents sharp of 440. Thanks for any responses.

• Like 1

It’s sounds very much like a case of internal air leaks,  probably because the reed pan supports are failing or are set too low.  It’s very very unlikely that a problem with the reeds themselves could affect all the reeds on one side.  

58 minutes ago, alex_holden said:

The reeds are very closely matched to their frame and swapping them around like that is unlikely to produce a satisfactory result.

Thanks Alex & Theo. At least I know now not to "experiment" with my way of thinking. I shall look more closely at the internal leakage, to see if that is the problem. Regards Bazza12

Bazza,

if you are in North Yorkshire. I am in North Sheffield, Theo is in Gateshead, why not call ans see one of us? I would be happy to have a look and advise, and I am sure Theo would be happy to assist if you approached him.