Limehouse Cut plays Scandi

Further to my earlier post of a video of Michael Hebbert playing in the churchyard in Limehouse in London, herewith another video of him with his duo partner Christine Dyer (duo name is Limehouse Cut) playing various Scandinavian tunes on Jeffries Duet and nyckelharpa, inside the church this time. (Just out of interest the first tune played is that has been recorded by Benny Andersson and Orsa Spelman in the past)

Edited by Irene S.
Incorrect information given in first posting :-)
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Irene S. said:

(Just out of interest the first tune played is actually one that was composed by Benni Andersson of ABBA)

Really? I learned it as “Gånglåt Fran Äppelbo,”  as it’s credited in the titles. Never saw a suggestion that Andersson wrote it until just now. With a little googling, I have found a reference to a 1990 album on which it “first appeared” that includes Benny Andersson, but I learned it in 1983.

it's just that I know of a Benny A. who is on SC, chatted with him some years ago, and he has frequently to point out that he is not "THE" B.E. ?

(you know, people got a "like" and were responding with "I feel so honoured getting a fav from a former ABBA member...)

best- ?

2 hours ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

it's just that I know of a Benny A. who is on SC, chatted with him some years ago, and he has frequently to point out that he is not "THE" B.E.

Äppelbo is a village in the Vansbro municipality in Dalarna county in Sweden.  In my experience, the tune is one of the most widely known in Sweden.

A search request on eniro.se -- a directory of people, places, companies, etc. in Sweden -- returned 537 listings with the name Benny Andersson.

There's more than one YouTube video with "Gånglåt från Äppelbo .... Benny Andersson & Orsa Spelmän" (Benny Andersson and the Orsa Folk Musicians), but the town of Orsa is in a very different part of Dalarna, so I doubt that that constitutes a connection.

Several sources label the tune as "traditional", so I thought of looking for the tune in the Dalarna section of the 24-volume Svenska Låtar (Swedish Tunes).  If it was there (published in the 1920s), it would certainly predate any current Benny Andersson.  Alas, the volume (Dalarna I) covering that part of Dalarna appears to be one of the volumes that were out print when I bought my set.

I guess I'll have to ask my friend Julia, a fiddler who lived in Vansbro for many years.  Or maybe Steve Simpson could tell us?

Thanks for all of that ... I was going on information which I had been fed (and also possession of the CD "Fiolin Min" , with Benny Andersson and Orsa Spelman recording) and am now annoyed with myself for not doing sufficient background research ... LOL. Happy to be corrected on that, of course!

Edit
I went away and googled a bit more, and yes, one of the most popular folktunes in Sweden apparently. The Session web page for once does not try to suggest that it is an Irish tune (which must be a first). One contributor six years ago stated the following:

" The tune is from the playing of Ärtbergs-Kalle (1826–1917) from Ärtberget, which lies south of Äppelbo. "
How authoritative that is I know not! ?

Edited by Irene S.