For Folk's Sake: Morris Dancing and Me

Dunno if this is the right place to post this...

For Folk's Sake: Morris Dancing and Me

A documentary about Morris. BBC 4, Monday 1 April, 2100.(*)

Details and preview clips at:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0003vh

(*)Also Sunday 31 March, 0255, signed version, I believe...

Edited by lachenal74693

And the "Ladies go Dancing at Whitsun":

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2019/mar/29/morris-dancing-gender-women

Roger, unless you have secretly taken up the melodeon, I don't see you in the picture of the Manchester Morris Persons?

Over here in the hinterlands of the Empire, we cannot view the BBC's broadcasts so if anybody cares to capture this on All Fool's Day then I for one would be very grateful.

Edited by Don Taylor

16 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

(1) Roger, unless you have secretly taken up the melodeon, I don't see you in the picture of the Manchester Morris Persons?

(2) Over here in the hinterlands of the Empire, we cannot view the BBC's broadcasts so if anybody cares to capture this on

All Fool's Day then I for one would be very grateful.

Don, good morning.

(1) No, I'm not in any of the pictures. In the main picture, we have: George, ?, Malcolm, Richard, (the presenter), Bruce, Marjorie

(plays the whistle in the closing titles), David, Tony (our ace melodeon player), t'other Roger, Richard and t'other George. I'm not

sure which are the other pictures you are looking at, but I am (usually) the blurred figure on the right in those pictures where

you can see the massed band performing...

(2) I wasn't sure where in the world this would be viewable, but thought it was worth posting so that folks can look, if possible.

Isn't there a television equivalent of US NPR which you can access?

We had a private showing on Thursday (my very first world premiere!!!). Very interesting, and (I thought) a sympathetic view of

an activity which is in some danger of slowly withering on the vine unless summat is done. No spoilers here - not till after the

transmission date, but t'aint just about Manchester Morris, though that's a central theme on which the whole thing is hung... 

Roger

PS: Oh, aye in case it hasn't been posted here before, here is a link to the world-famous Badger Morris:

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-quarantine-2018-online

PPS: 'Ladies go Dancing at Whitsun' - 'False Bride' innit?

Edited by lachenal74693

15 hours ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

The Kettle Bridge side springs to my mind... ?

Two sides based up here in God's Country:

Fidler's Fancy

Poynton Jemmers

There's probably more, and many Border sides are co-ed in any case:

Boggart's Breakfast

Edited by lachenal74693

22 hours ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

The Kettle Bridge side springs to my mind... ?

Kettle Bridge Clogs have been dancing for 35 years. They are a ladies' side based in Kent, and have always set a high standard in their dancing.

Last year, with a few more dancers retiring, there was a major recruitment drive, utilising all the advice available from the Morris Federation and other sources. While some people expressed an interest, at the end of the year the number of new recruits form this campaign was zero.

This year we shall be dancing with the minimum number of dancers, and have reworked some dances to be performed with 6 instead of 8, or 4 instead of 6.

So we are starting a new dancing season with no new recruits, and a low probability of recruiting more during the year.

The bottom line is that the side has decided that  this year will be Kettle Bridge Clogs' last season as a performing side.

Very sad, but there seems no other way to go.

- John Wild, band member for Kettle Bridge Clogs.

John, that‘s very sad news indeed - I’ve been able to watch a very appealing appearance in Lewes some years ago as you may be aware of. However I just read Kettle Bridge Concertinas will be celebrating their tenth anniversary this year and hope they’re alive and well...

All the best - ?

3 hours ago, John Wild said:

...The bottom line is that the side has decided that  this year will be Kettle Bridge Clogs' last season as a performing side...

Don't despair. One of our local Morris sides had decided to shut up shop last year, and sometime in the autumn about six blokes

turned up out of the blue saying 'Right, what about this bloody Morris dancing then - let us at it!', and said side is now revitalised

and continuing to function. Fingers crossed...

• Like 1

I am surprised that Morris has not been taken up by the schools. 

I well remember the old BBC schools broadcasts 'Singing Together' which, I think, reignited interest in folk music and led to the second wave in the '60s.

Maybe a program called 'Dancing Together'?

5 hours ago, lachenal74693 said:

Don't despair. One of our local Morris sides had decided to shut up shop last year, and sometime in the autumn about six blokes

turned up out of the blue saying 'Right, what about this bloody Morris dancing then - let us at it!', and said side is now revitalised

and continuing to function. Fingers crossed...

Thank you. I will pass on that comment.

12 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

I am surprised that Morris has not been taken up by the schools. 

I well remember the old BBC schools broadcasts 'Singing Together' which, I think, reignited interest in folk music and led to the second wave in the '60s.

Maybe a program called 'Dancing Together'?

Nice idea, but it'll never get off the ground. Morris is 'English' and therefore unacceptable to the education authorities and to the BBC

in these 'diverse' and 'multi-cultural' days. In Scotland 'Scottish Country Dancing' is (or was?) part of the educational syllabus - sensible

people, the Scotch.

In any case, Morris is irredeemably 'racist', see:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/08/morris-dancers-forced-abandon-performance-accused-racism-threatened/

and a large number of similar posts about this incident. My barber showed me film of this on his 'phone at the time (2017). Very

scary. I see that at least one festival appears to have followed the rush to P.C. acceptability, and banned 'blacking-up'. Pity.

2 hours ago, The Crimson Avenger said:

In any case, Morris is irredeemably 'racist', see:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/08/morris-dancers-forced-abandon-performance-accused-racism-threatened/

and a large number of similar posts about this incident. My barber showed me film of this on his 'phone at the time (2017). Very

scary. I see that at least one festival appears to have followed the rush to P.C. acceptability, and banned 'blacking-up'. Pity.

IMO it is not appropriate to  refuse or ridicule bringing racist tendencies, deliverances or elements into question. Nevertheless, I would be very confident that the Morris tradition will be able to confidently survive such challenges and required adjustments. 

1 hour ago, John Wild said:

"Scotch" is Whisky! The people are Scots.  ?

I think it was the late, great A.J.P. Taylor who said in one of his books something to the effect of (I paraphrase):

"In Scotland, there are three (*) words used to describe things pertaining to Scotland: Scotch, Scots and Scottish.

In England, there is only one word used to describe things pertaining to Scotland: Scotch."

I always did like AJPT - he was controversial in a friendly sort of way ?

Whatever, make sure you watch the film tonight - preferably with a glass of Scotch at your elbow...?

Roger

(*) Scotch (whisky); Scots (the people), Scottish (everything else). 

Edited by lachenal74693
  • Like 1