Crane system button spacing

Most Crane players will know that it comes in two flavours: the original Butterworth "arc" and the Crabb "chevron". The principal difference is obvious from the name. Less obvious is the difference in spacing. Whilst the vertical spacing is the same, Geoff Crabb's diagram (scroll down here) shows the horizontal spacing is markedly different.

I've played the Butterworth layout for a long time. For two or three years I owned a Crabb with the chevron layout. My initial reaction was that the middle button felt a little higher up than I was used to, but I soon became accustomed to it and was able to swap back and forth without difficulty. I don't recall ever thinking about the horizontal spacing.

Do other Crane players have any observations on the different layouts; particularly those who concurrently own both?

LJ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saguaro_squeezer said:

I have a Connor Crane and the spacing on it actually feels a bit closer than the Crabb.

I, too, play all three styles and find that it takes a couple of minutes to adjust to the spacing if you're needing any of the outside rows.  Otherwise, no difference for me.

How do they all compare to the spacings shown by Geoff in this diagram?

987905899_Concertinabuttonspacing.thumb.png.168aea2732e770d9cb51370adacb120f.png

My personal experience is, as you know, restricted to the „chevron“ layout - and what I really like about it (apart from the, as for me, appealing look) is its providing perfect diagonal scales... (and I reckon I would miss that feature on a Lachenal or Wheatstone).

Best wishes - ?

Edited by Wolf Molkentin
correction

9 minutes ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

My personal experience is, as you know, restricted to the „chevron“ layout - and what I really like about it (apart from the, as for me, appealing look) is its providing perfect diagonal scales... (and I reckon I would miss that feature on a Lachenal or Wheatstone).

Best wishes - ?

Hi Wolf - my experience is that you can easily get used to either. Out of interest, do the dimensions of your Crabb agree with those in Geoff's diagram (three posts earlier)? It was really the spacing aspect I was interested in.

LJ

1 hour ago, Little John said:

Out of interest, do the dimensions of your Crabb agree with those in Geoff's diagram (three posts earlier)?

I would say so - but I will check the exact measurements.