Jump to content
Little John

Crane system button spacing

Recommended Posts

Most Crane players will know that it comes in two flavours: the original Butterworth "arc" and the Crabb "chevron". The principal difference is obvious from the name. Less obvious is the difference in spacing. Whilst the vertical spacing is the same, Geoff Crabb's diagram (scroll down here) shows the horizontal spacing is markedly different.

 

I've played the Butterworth layout for a long time. For two or three years I owned a Crabb with the chevron layout. My initial reaction was that the middle button felt a little higher up than I was used to, but I soon became accustomed to it and was able to swap back and forth without difficulty. I don't recall ever thinking about the horizontal spacing.

 

Do other Crane players have any observations on the different layouts; particularly those who concurrently own both?

 

LJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Connor Crane and the spacing on it actually feels a bit closer than the Crabb.

 

I, too, play all three styles and find that it takes a couple of minutes to adjust to the spacing if you're needing any of the outside rows.  Otherwise, no difference for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, saguaro_squeezer said:

I have a Connor Crane and the spacing on it actually feels a bit closer than the Crabb.

 

I, too, play all three styles and find that it takes a couple of minutes to adjust to the spacing if you're needing any of the outside rows.  Otherwise, no difference for me.

 

How do they all compare to the spacings shown by Geoff in this diagram?

 

987905899_Concertinabuttonspacing.thumb.png.168aea2732e770d9cb51370adacb120f.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Little John, I'll measure the Connor and see.  Since he worked for Crabb before setting out on his own, I know that the layout is chevron but it feels a bit tighter.  It could be the buttons, which are just a bit larger than those on my Crabb.  I'll report back ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My personal experience is, as you know, restricted to the „chevron“ layout - and what I really like about it (apart from the, as for me, appealing look) is its providing perfect diagonal scales... (and I reckon I would miss that feature on a Lachenal or Wheatstone).

 

Best wishes - 🐺

 

Edited by Wolf Molkentin
correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

My personal experience is, as you know, restricted to the „chevron“ layout - and what I really like about it (apart from the, as for me, appealing look) is its providing perfect diagonal scales... (and I reckon I would miss that feature on a Lachenal or Wheatstone).

 

Best wishes - 🐺

 

 

Hi Wolf - my experience is that you can easily get used to either. Out of interest, do the dimensions of your Crabb agree with those in Geoff's diagram (three posts earlier)? It was really the spacing aspect I was interested in.

 

LJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Little John said:

Out of interest, do the dimensions of your Crabb agree with those in Geoff's diagram (three posts earlier)?

 

I would say so - but I will check the exact measurements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×