Almost Too Embarassed To Ask This

I bought a lovely anglo concertina from the Button Box (a Morse) last Summer. Now, I love my concertina and couldn't be happier with it (ok, I'm looking into bellows papers, but that's cosmetic).

Now, there is only one problem. Since taking it out of the case in July, I haven't EVER been able to fit it back in. STOP LAUGHING AT ME!

My wife, after hours of enjoyment at my expense, tried. She failed. In the last 8 months since I've had my concertina, NOBODY has been able to figure out how to fit it back in the case it came in.

This makes me feel like an idiot. It's a splendid case and I'd love to use it.

Does anybody know the secret of the case? If I'm opening myself to the ridicule of these boards (and yes, I deserve it), you know I must be in desperate straits.

Anyone? Bueller?

Pretty please with sugar on top.....

Hi

Sounds tricky. I think it might be an idea if you posted a photograph or two of the box so we can see what you mean as whilst it should be a snug fit, it should not normally be difficult to get it back in the right place.

Pete

I'm with Pete. Post a picture. Now I own a Morse Albion (bought it last spring). At first the bellows were a bit stiff and it didn't want to compress enough to get in, but a little gentle pressure (with the air button depressed) with your hands then straight into the blocked case.

Post that picture, ain't nobody gonna' laugh. That jewel needs to be protected in it's case!

I bought a lovely anglo concertina from the Button Box (a Morse) last Summer.  Since taking it out of the case in July, I haven't EVER been able to fit it back in.

Does anybody know the secret of the case?

We block our cases to have an initial snug fit as things do loosen up some with time and use. If you put your case, lid up so that it flips away from you, and your concertina on the surface the case is on as if you've just finished playing it (so that the thumbscrews are at the upper side of the instrument), the concertina will fit in the case the same orientation.

IOW, when in the case, the concertina will rest flat on its lower frames and the "points" of the concertina will be toward the hinge and the clasp of the case. The buttons will be pointing sideways. You'll need to let all the air out of the bellows and with an additional gentle squeeze it should slip right down there between the blocks.

It does NOT go in "point" down, nor with the buttons facing up/down or toward the hinge and hasp. I hope this helps! Believe me, we've seen an incredible number of very nice concertinas forced into their cases the wrong direction!

I'm less than an hour away Richard (Richard, right?). Maybe it's about time I came into town and showed you all sorts of great things, including cases. Let me know.

Ken, up in Indiana, PA

I bought a lovely anglo concertina from the Button Box (a Morse) last Summer.  Now, I love my concertina and couldn't be happier with it (ok, I'm looking into bellows papers, but that's cosmetic).

Now, there is only one problem.  Since taking it out of the case in July, I haven't EVER been able to fit it back in.

The magic things that love can do... :wub:

As a result your Tina grew.... :D

I have a problem getting my Morse back in its case too.

Nothing to do with the way it fits though. :D

It's just that it's so light and easy to play compared with my other, heavier classic concertinas that I find it hard to put it down, let alone put it away.

OK, just a couple more tunes, then.... :rolleyes:

I bought a lovely anglo concertina from the Button Box (a Morse) last Summer.  Since taking it out of the case in July, I haven't EVER been able to fit it back in.

Does anybody know the secret of the case?

We block our cases to have an initial snug fit as things do loosen up some with time and use.

But if you haven't had the instrument in the case since last summer, the bellows have not been compacted for all that time, and are probably "sprung open" to some degree. You will probably need to hold them compressed whilst trying to put the concertina into its snugly-fitting case.

Believe me, we've seen an incredible number of very nice concertinas forced into their cases the wrong direction!

And I've had to repair/replace the resulting ripped bellows when preople have forced the poor instrument out again.

Did you ever have to take the bottom out of a (hexagonal) case, to get somebody's concertina out in one piece ? I have !

Did you ever have to take the bottom out of a (hexagonal) case, to get somebody's concertina out in one piece ? I have !

Even had to saw a hex case length-ways once to release an English with particularly thick thumbstrap leather, which had been forced in the wrong way around, despite the groove inside the box to accommodate the thumbstrap/screw.

Removed the bottom quite easily, but still couldn't shift it. This particular case was about the only one I've ever seen with good corners which we couldn't prise apart; they are usually pretty weak.

So out with the tennon saw. I was too scared to cut right through the wood, I remember, so went about half way, then jemmied it. :o

Totally ruined the case of course, but I reckon I did the owner a favour by replacing it with a square case.

If any one reading this has a concertina with me for repair currently, don't worry; a tennon saw and a jemmy are not normally part of my repair arsenal.

Pass the jack hammer, please.... B)

Malcolm

I'm less than an hour away Richard (Richard, right?).  Maybe it's about time I came into town and showed you all sorts of great things, including cases.  Let me know.

Less than an hour away at 7:00 last night would find our shop closed and me out jamming.... But I look forward to you stopping by another day though. If I'm not around when you pull in, have Doug give me a ring!

I'm less than an hour away Richard (Richard, right?).  Maybe it's about time I came into town and showed you all sorts of great things, including cases.  Let me know.

Less than an hour away at 7:00 last night would find our shop closed and me out jamming.... But I look forward to you stopping by another day though. If I'm not around when you pull in, have Doug give me a ring!

He's talking about me. Ashkettle being my last name, but Richard being my first. I'm one of the only other concertina players in Pittsburgh (going on the rumor of an English player being somewhere in town).

Btw, thanks all. I actually got it in and out of the case easily now. As embarassed as I was to have to ask the question, I'm glad I did.

Yes Ken, sometime we should get together. I'll buy you drinks and you can show me everything I'm doing wrong. After all, I freely admit I'm a complete novice with my concertina. It doesn't stop me from loving it though.

He's talking about me.  Ashkettle being my last name, but Richard being my first.  I'm one of the only other concertina players in Pittsburgh (going on the rumor of an English player being somewhere in town).

Hey, did you ever make it to either of the house concerts Anne and I did in Pittsburgh at Curt and Annie's house, with concertinas in tow. Some years ago now :( but really enjoyable evenings for us :)

Chris