Gold -Plated Wheatstone Aeola Baritone English.

Robin Harrison

A rare and possibly unique concertina from 1914.........a fabulous concertina to look at and wonderful to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEcuQcI-qRQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk-TBgWOIlw

A baritone 56key key Aeola English concertina. Bought from Chris Algar who had the Concertina Connection do a full reno on it including having the end plates gold plated.

Being a 56 keyed instrument, it means if you are good enough or well practised ( I'm not) you can play a tune in the upper register so it plays in the treble clef.

It was apparently bought for a clown to use in a Paris, France circus. Chris bought it in Paris.

It's in lovely condition and has been well cared for and properly humidified.

It has a light action and is a pleasure to play. Comes with a case in good condition.

http://www.horniman.info/DKNSARC/SD01/PAGES/D1P0560L.HTM

PM me if seriously interested.....it is currently in Ontario but I am probably coming to the UK in November and the States in late May 9 Close to the Button Box.

By coincidence, if you look at the advert at the Concertina Connection advertisement "From this ; to this" (when it appears)at the top right of this page...

http://www.concertinaconnection.com/rare%20concertinas.htm

This is the English Concertina featured ; it was originally gilt.

I have two anglo concertinas joining me soon hence the sale ; I play English less than I used to .

Edited by Robin Harrison

Wow, that's gorgeous! I understand it's one of a trio of similar gilt aeolas (26378-26380), of different ranges, that were made for the same French clown Robin.

Whilst that gold-tooling design on the bellows frames is in itself highly uncommon, and normally only found on a handful of larger de-luxe aeolas - with the exception of my 1910 "best hexagonal" treble 25100, which is down simply as a Model "No.6 Black Gilt Fittings Special" in the ledger, but it also has that gold-tooling, the "81 fret" ends otherwise only found on some aeolas, and long-scale "aeola" reeds.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

I have an Amboyna TT with the same gold-tooling. And - Steve - you should know that they used gold-tooling on little ones, too: i.e. on my Amboyna piccolo;-)

It can be seen 6 boxes below Robin's baritone on Wim's page...

post-7162-0-46196900-1462300861_thumb.jpg

I had been after Robin's golden baritone for a while - but I happened to find a similar one closer by: mine came from east Germany... It has 64 keys and extends right down to F ( plus F# ).

Robin, is your's 8" across or smaller?

Edited by conzertino

On 5/3/2016 at 7:46 PM, conzertino said:

I have an Amboyna TT with the same gold-tooling. And - Steve - you should know that they used gold-tooling on little ones, too: i.e. on my Amboyna piccolo 😉

It can be seen 6 boxes below Robin's baritone on Wim's page...

Yes, but that's a different, and smaller, gold-tooling design on your piccolo. My point was that the design on your amboyna TT, Robin's baritone and my 1910 "6-sided aeola" (which came from Edinburgh, years ago, by the way ;) ) is too big for the bellows frames of a regular octagonal aeola treble, let alone a piccolo one...

I think I've seen your gold-tooled amboyna piccolo before - isn't it the same one that Harry Minting played in the "Concertina Factory" newsreel?

By the way, remembering old times, I just bought myself a nice PS red box (like Joe Cooley's) off Ellen Comerford, in Tullamore, who we visited when you were in Carlow.

Edited by Stephen Chambers
Spelling

Steve, Conzertino............yes, it's a spectacular concertina and plays really well too.

When I bought it from Chris he said it was made for a clown in Paris, France along with another; I didn't realise there were three made.

Be interesting to find out the history but over the years nothing has come my way.

Yes, it's 8" across the flats.

I seriously think it out-blings any other concertina I've seen !

Robin

Edited by Robin Harrison

Actually I've had an order in with Colin for for an F/C, 36 keys like my G/D and it is to be ready shortly. He's making two of them; one for another poster here. Intended for song accompaniment.

But I was also in the right place, right time and right mind-set for a bass G/D anglo; an octave down from a standard G/D.

It's hugely exciting and I will be posting when it comes. 36 keys again and should be an extra-ordinary concertina.

Thanks for asking.

Robin

Actually I've had an order in with Colin for for an F/C, 36 keys like my G/D and it is to be ready shortly. He's making two of them; one for another poster here. Intended for song accompaniment.

But I was also in the right place, right time and right mind-set for a bass G/D anglo; an octave down from a standard G/D.

It's hugely exciting and I will be posting when it comes. 36 keys again and should be an extra-ordinary concertina.

Thanks for asking.

Robin

Hi Robin

I had a G/D bass anglo from Colin out of Robin Scard. It was a tremendous player, quite able to handle tunes at dance speed as well as growly bass parts and quite light, too considering. I reluctantly sold it some years back when it was a luxury I could no longer afford. You'll love it - guaranteed (but you know that, anyway!) Tony