18 Button Stagi A-18 English Concertina ?

Bald Reynard

As part of my 'continuing quest' to find an inexpensive English concertina for learning, I have come across a secondhand Stagi A-18 at a decent price. Immediately, I thought, "that could be a good starters concertina" and did a bit of research. Many Members here (lmc, Mike French, ladyhealer, Johanna, MatthewVanitas, conzertino and Delbert Blackletter) have said a number of good things about the model over the last few years. My concern, is it a bit TOO simplistic and a bit limiting in the range of tunes & songs it can play ?!

18 buttons is not many - and while I'm sure that might be good for a beginner, I wonder whether it might soon become 'redundant' as experience improves and there will be a need to quickly move on to another instrument (and consequently, it would be a bit of a waste of money). Alternatively, does it's 'simplicity' become an attraction as it's easy to transport and play. A few have said, it's main limitation is the fact that you can only play in C, D & G keys, but is this really a major restriction for most English / Folk tunes & songs ?

Also, what is quality on such a basic Stagi like ? Some on here will have seen my comments about the used Scarlatti SCE-30 I bought. 2 misaligned buttons constantly sticking and one jamming in the frame permanently. That went back and I got my refund, but I don't want to go through it all again !

ANY comments would be appreciated, before I commit to buy.

Edited by Bald Reynard

The range as provided with 18 buttons is limited not only in respect of accidentals but of the octaves available. Even with no accidentals missing a given tune might not fit in (all the more as your transposing options would me limited too); playing harmony against the melody would be even more limited.

Of course you could just learn to play the melody of fitting tunes, and it may be nice to play such a tiny instrument, but I wouldn't recommend it for learning purposes because it would not give you the feel of an ordinary concertina, just something different which would have to be appreciated on ist own merits.

BTW, didn't you acquire a Lachenal tutor model (or am I confusing things here)?

Best wishes - Wolf

I recently bought one of these used for my nephew, who is not quite old enough to have it yet, so have been fooling around with it a bit. As an Anglo player who up until recently was totally mystified by the English I can't comment on its musical usefulness, however I will say that I was moderately pleasantly surprised by the build quality and playability having not expected very much. No one will confuse it with a proper instrument, but no issues with sticking buttons, wheezy bellows, out of tune/non-speaking reeds, etc. (all of which I have encountered in similar quality Anglos). It even has a pleasant and surprisingly loud voice!

It really depends what you want it for, and how great a steal the price is.

If you want something really compact and "fun" but not necessarily a really versatile instrument, and the price is something like £200, then sure it's not a bad choice. In my case, I just stumbled across one, having never played concertina before, and was mostly a strings player so it was a fun way to casually dip my toe into concertina for US$200.

If you're looking for a way to start getting seriously into English, which appears to be your intent, then you're probably much better off getting a Jackie, or spending a little more and getting a basic Lachenal.

• 2 weeks later...

Hold out for a Jackie. Everything else I've ever tried has been not worth buying. I now own an expensive Lachenal as well but I still really like my Jackie. It's loud, very responsive and has its own unique sound. OK, it's never going to be a Wheatstone but it's still a very worthy instrument. Check out my teaching videos and you can get a really good idea of the sound.

• 4 months later...

Hello Masters of Concertino! I looking for Stagi A-18 concertina and nice music for it. Please help! I am clown of show Aga-Boom. We need any information about clowns and concertina. Thank you! Some body sale A-18 concertina? Do you know either small size concertinas for sale? Please let me know!

This is my first song on Stagi A-18 for american civil war event. Best regards, Dimitri

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPeidSr3itw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPDSMgROPX8

• 5 months later...

Just saw this now, Aga-Boom! Ha ha, got a kick out of your YouTube videos!

I am not in fact selling a Stagi mini 18 button EC, but I have one and I just picked it up again today after not playing it for....years maybe. I'd forgotten where I put it, for one thing...but shall not do that again.

I play a regular EC and I agree with the comments that a full-sized one is better for learning, if only one had to be chosen.

Anyway, how I ended up here today in this forum is that I did a search on the 18-button in the forums, to ask for some good tunes for it, playable with harmony. So I ask here, but I'll probably post in the Tunes forum as well.

I've been playing Wildwood Flower in the key of F, which 'fits' on the 18-button and allows for 2 parts.

Classical, folk, jazz....anything that comes to mind as being something that would fit on the mini EC. I probably have the music for it, just need to know what to look for....

thanks, anyone...