Wanted. Baritone/treble Aeola.

Geoff Wooff

Looking for Metal ended Baritone/treble Aeola . Any condition considered.

I have a Wooden ended Model 14 (56 key) but I'm looking for one with more volume for Band work. Any of the three model types (14 ,15 or 16) would suit.

I can, and have , attached microphones but unless the fold back is giving me plenty of concertina I do have difficulty hearing myself play when using the Wooden ender. Situations vary of course and some days the one I have would be ok but due to being caught out on occasion and having had to play blind ( deaf) all night I tend to take my noisy metal ended treble to gigs instead.

Now one might say what's wrong with playing the treble all the time ? Well, I tend to play the B/T at home and the fingering position is slightly different and I am missing the arrangements that I've worked out with that extra octave extension downward .

So I thought I would try here, see if anyone has one for sale before I compromise and buy a Tennor Treble.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

I'll take the slough-offs, i.e., those plain old Baritone 48s that just won't do . . . :rolleyes:

Well... no Cee. The difference between Baritones and Baritone/ Trebles is quite significant, as I'm sure you know but I will explain it for those who don't:

A Baritone English has the same fingering as a Treble but the notes sound an octave lower, so the bottom note of a 48 Baritone is G on the bottom ledger line of the Bass Clef of normal Staff notation and is on the right hand end of the instrument.

A Baritone/Treble English has the same fingering and pitch of notes as a standard Treble but the keyboard is continued down for another octave. This makes the low G the same as on the standard Baritone but it is on the left hand side of the instrument.

The difference for the player is that a Baritone plays the same as a Treble but the notes come out an octave lower and on a Baritone/Treble the notes play the same pitch as the Treble but the player has an extra octave below the Treble range that can be used for bass runs and harmonies whilst playing the melody in the Treble range.

So the Baritone is a transposed instrument and the Baritone/Treble is not. Only caveat being that on a B/T the button to Thumbstrap relationship is usually shifted.... the whole button patern is moved away from the player's body by one row ( D being where A is on a standard Treble righthand side... this gives a less cramped reach to the lowest notes but can make those highest notes a further stretch.

The Baritone is great for playing lower parts in a Band or for deeper song accompaniment without having to reverse fingerings from those of a Treble... so it is a nice instrument for a Treble player to add to their 'collection'.... I don't really like that word, I'd prefer 'tool box'.

I think the Baritone/treble suits the player who wants to make bigger arrangements , playing more like a Duet.

Edited by Geoff Wooff