Need Help Finding An English Concertina & Players In My Nc Area...

I am not new to playing (also am an Old-Time fiddler), yet still less than an advanced player. Was hoping to find a group or a player in the Chapel Hill/Orange County NC locale. And I am desperate for help finding the right instrument. I am exhausted searching the web. I have a 30 key mother-of-toilet-seat-red"pearl" Stagi (I believe). But want to treat myself with a better instrument to celebrate retirement. Any assistance would be greatly greatly appreciated.

But want to treat myself with a better instrument to celebrate retirement.

What you can lay your hands on depends, of course, on what you're prepared to spend. The good news is that English concertinas still command significantly lower prices than comparable Anglos, though they're still not cheap.

My first stop--certainly on the East Coast of the U.S.--would be the Button Box in western Massachusetts. They have a well-designed web site with sound samples of instruments in stock, they're extremely helpful folks, and they'll send you an instrument on approval. Their concertina inventory varies from time to time; the pickings of English concertinas look a bit slim just now, but you can always ask them to be on the lookout for something specific you fancy. Their own house brand of hybrid (accordion reed) concertinas is first-rate, and they can make you one on relatively short order (within months, rather than years).

I'm not an English player, and I'm sure more knowledgeable people will chime in. But that's where I'd start. I have no connection with the store, by the way; I'm just a satisfied customer of many years. Hope this helps.

Bob Michel

Near Philly

Edited by Bob Michel

I bought my Lachenal English concertina from Greg Jowaisas three years ago.

It was restored to an excellent condition.

In November 2014, he sent me a list of available vintage English concertinas.

At that time, he had about 15 of them in stock, with a wide range of prices.

He is located in Kentucky, I believe.

He is a member of this forum so you can send him a personal message.

He may have his email listed in one of his posts in the Buy and Sell section.

Good luck in your search for a player near you.

I was fortunate to find some other concertina players (anglo and EC) in San Diego.

We started a group four years ago, and we still meet several times a year.

Mary B

I am not new to playing (also am an Old-Time fiddler), yet still less than an advanced player. Was hoping to find a group or a player in the Chapel Hill/Orange County NC locale. And I am desperate for help finding the right instrument. I am exhausted searching the web. I have a 30 key mother-of-toilet-seat-red"pearl" Stagi (I believe). But want to treat myself with a better instrument to celebrate retirement. Any assistance would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Best wishes for your retirement and further English playing! As to the choice of a better instrument, advice would be more specific if we knew your budget...

Wolf

Seconding the suggestion to contact Greg, especially if you're interest in a vintage box. The Button Box is a fine place and their Morse concertinas are well regarded, but judging from their latest listing of available instruments, Greg probably has more English concertinas available.

Edited by Mike Franch

Are we sure the OP is talking of what 'we' call an English Concertina ? The description given sounds more like an Anglo to me, maybe by 'English' F8nds10e means english made, as in vintage ,traditional reeded, etc etc ?

Good luck with your search,

Geoff.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Are we sure the OP is talking of what 'we' call an English Concertina ? The description given sounds more like an Anglo to me, maybe by 'English' F8nds10e means english made, as in vintage ,traditional reeded, etc etc ?

Good luck with your search,

Geoff.

That was my initial idea too, but the 30b ECs of the Stagi brand do exist as a quick google search revealed...

If by 30-button you mean you are referring to a bisonoric (different notes on push versus pull), that type is known as "Anglo" concertina, while the type that is the same note on both push and pull, is called the "English" concertina. Just to keep it as bewildering and counter-intuitive as possible . . . :rolleyes:

If you are definitely looking for a vintage concertina, the suggestions here for Greg J. are good ones. If you are open to a newly-made concertina with accordion reeds, but of very high quality and much faster and more responsive than your Stagi, these are often called "hybrid" concertinas. Mr. Frank Edgley, a wonderful concertina maker in Canada, makes very high quality hybrid concertinas in your choice of lots of different wood or metal-end configurations, and recently posted a reminder on this site's "Buy and Sell" section, that the exchange rate is currently very sweet for folks who order in U.S.$$$. Mr. Edgley is not too far from your own region, no? Perhaps one could make a trip of it to pick it up....

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=17704

The Button Box makes its own line of hybrid concertinas known as Morse concertinas. Their 30-button Anglo model is called the Ceili. I'd highly recommend their reasonably priced available upgrade to "hand type" or "hand-finished" reeds (Click "Specifications" and see "Reeds" for info on that).

http://www.buttonbox.com/morse-ceili.html

Both of these makes are fast, responsive, sound great, and will amaze you at the difference in playability from your Stagi!

I'm finishing up a nice selection of english concertinas and also have several lower mid-range anglos nearly ready to go.

You can personal message me (click my name in the heading and then click personal message in the pop up) or email: gjowaisas (type "at") twc.com

or give me a call (859) area code 291 dash 7062 between 8am and 8pm Eastern Standard Time.

Best of concertina adventures!

Greg

While our ready-to-buy stock is low at the moment, we at the Button Box have recently acquired several nice vintage English concertinas - give us a call if you'd like to talk about what's going to be coming through the pipeline sometime soon.