"crescent Games"?

I thought I would polish up my special twenty-seven-sided dice in preparation for this year's tournament, but unfortunately most of the spots rubbed off. No problem, I thought, I'll just place a mail order for a new pair along with an up to date copy of Norbertson's Rule Guide and a new green eyeshade, however it seems that the venerable Jones's Mornington Emporium of Shepherd's Bush has gone out of business since his accountant absconded to the Bahamas with last year's profits. Alas! Where are we to purchase our essential gaming supplies now?

Samantha will tolerate no off-colour jokes about being off-side, particularly by her gentleman-friends. And neither will Mrs. Trellis.

Probably not too fond of off-topic "humour", either. But I'll ask Samantha when I see her next... in about 10 days time. ;)

Don't tell me - you're teaching her concertina: you squeeze while she plays with the buttons. Actually,I hear she's joined a concertina band. She's playing treble at the moment but she says she'd do anything for a tenner.

She plays anglo (though primarily French horn) and hosts the annual Arran Concertina Event, which I believe celebrates its 11th year this coming October. :)

I fear we are referring to different Samanthas, Jim.

Quite likely, but I believe the Samantha to whom I refer was actually the Mornington Crescent arbiter, at least in the early years of our Wheatstone competition. See, e.g., this thread. (Her first appearance there is post #18.)

The other Samantha is of course the helpful (yet strangely silent) assistant on I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, the radio programme whence the game comes...

Considering the roles played and the "responses" issuing therefrom, I don't think it's obvious that they're distinct individuals. B)

OK, it's own-up time. We've played a game of Mornington Crescent for 10 years every February to commemorate that most notable player and inventor of the Mayfair Manoeuvre, Charles Wheatstone. The standard of play was always high (to the extent that match outcomes and statistics were reported in Stovell's!) but it seemed to me that interest was flagging the last couple of years and the games were taking months to reach a conclusion. So I thought I'd keep stumm this February and see if anyone noticed. It's taken three months ...

So, do people still want to play?

Chris

It does appear that there are a number of folks who do want to play (and not just to watch the play). So, Chris, who is supposed to make the first move?

I think you're right, Jim. David Corner, as last year's winner, will be the player to set any special rules and make the first move. However I happen to know he is in Swaledale right now, so I shall start a new thread for the game on Monday. I shall also contact Stovell's Almanac and ensure the game will continue to score UK ranking points for the winner.

Chris

how come I cannot pull up some of the ol' games from past years?

The search engine used by Invision (whose software runs our forums) does not seem to be of the best. With the help of Google, I came up with the following links (among others referring to Mornington Crescent):

Enjoy! :D