Well, What A Surprise! Any Opinions On This Instrument?

I was in one of my local shops this morning, and as I happened to know the owner was musical, and

I had 'tina with me, so I showed him the machine.

Imagine my surprise when he produced from below the counter this Lachenal 30-buitton C/G instrument,

Serial No. 97287. I happened to have my tablet with me so took a couple of quick snaps:

post-11382-0-09797700-1421416017_thumb.jpgpost-11382-0-64966700-1421416056_thumb.jpg

It belonged to his mum, who had it from her Uncle Jim. He (the owner) had lent it to a friend who apparently

hadn't played it but bought a cheaper instrument to learn on, so it probably hasn't been played

seriously for years.

I am guessing a date about 1900 (I haven't checked yet). Any opinions?

It looks as if the (slightly battered) box is original.

It has 5-fold bellows, which are leaking.

I managed to get a tune out of it, but the action seemed stiff, and the sound was very weak, probably

due to leaking bellows, lack of use and a reddish velvet baffle behind the fretted ends? One or two notes

were 'intermittent' at best.

I wonder if this is a project worth pursuing? I'm tempted to make him an offer, as long as it's not regarded

as a 'family heirloom'.

Any advice would be more than welcome.

Thanks.

Roger

Edited by lachenal74693

I wonder if this is a project worth pursuing? I'm tempted to make him an offer, as long as it's not regarded

as a 'family heirloom'.

And if it is so regarded?

Maybe he'd consider having it restored and learning to play it himself? I'm sure we all (including you) would be happy to advise him. :)

In playing condition, these Lachenals are perfectly good, serviceable boxes, with quite a distinctive tone, which I think of as "woody".

I suppose there can't be any harm in asking him if he'd be interested in selling. If he is, then at that point you could ask to take the ends off and investigate the innards a bit more thoroughly.

Not much can be said for sure, other than it was made in about 1887.

Reeds? most Anglos from this period had steel reeds but there were exceptions.

Five or six fold bellows?. Each type was used for Anglos of this period. I am guessing that this one has 5-fold bellows (given the relatively cheap light-wood ends).

Those uninitiated about Lachenal serial numbers might think the the exclamation point in your posting is a "1", leading them to an impossible serial number, higher than 900,000.

Edited by Dowright

Maybe he'd consider having it restored and learning to play it himself? I'm sure we all (including you) would be happy to advise him. :)

Yes indeed, that's what I said to him, and I gave him the name of our local restorer. I don't know what he thought about

that - he is a piano and organ player himself.

R

Personally I was never very keen on the Lachenal yellow-ended boxes. It me they always felt cheap and a bit nasty. Now the rosewood-ended anglos which were next up in their range, those I've always loved for their sweetness and clarity of tone.

Chris

Just pondering those buttons; the tops appear to be a little more rounded than those usually found on concertinas from the 1880s.

Wondering if there might be a 1 before the number you quoted in the OP, hidden under the fretwork to the left of the number.

If so, 197287 would be of far later build, and not perhaps of the quality of those made earlier.

Of course, I may be quite wrong; it has been known!

Just pondering those buttons; the tops appear to be a little more rounded than those usually found on concertinas from the 1880s.

Wondering if there might be a 1 before the number you quoted in the OP, hidden under the fretwork to the left of the number.

If so, 197287 would be of far later build, and not perhaps of the quality of those made earlier.

Of course, I may be quite wrong; it has been known!

That's an interesting point. I will check.

Thank you.

R

A good proportion of instruments of this grade are actually brass reeded, not steel. If you took at the RH palm rest top where the hand rubs, if nothing is stamped on it, then it is most likely brass reeded, Or it may have 'STEEL REEDS' stamped on it; which is a very good clue.

Dave

A good proportion of instruments of this grade are actually brass reeded, not steel. If you took at the RH palm rest top where the hand rubs, if nothing is stamped on it, then it is most likely brass reeded, Or it may have 'STEEL REEDS' stamped on it; which is a very good clue.

This thread is helping me acquire some very useful 'general knowledge' about these older instruments. Thank you!

Roger.

A good proportion of instruments of this grade are actually brass reeded, not steel. If you took at the RH palm rest top where the

hand rubs, if nothing is stamped on it, then it is most likely brass reeded, Or it may have 'STEEL REEDS' stamped on it; which

is a very good clue.

Correct on both counts, as the pictures show. Not very clear I'm afraid, but clear enough.

I just hope he now goes ahead and gets the thing restored, otherwise it's just going to sit on a shelf

deteriorating.

Thanks again for those useful suggestions. I'm learning a lot about concertinas on this site!

Roger

post-11382-0-11680700-1421816414_thumb.jpg

post-11382-0-99588600-1421816435_thumb.jpg

post-11382-0-18892600-1421816452_thumb.jpg

Edited by lachenal74693

Now that a serial number of 197287 is established, the concertina can be dated to 1926. I have a receipt for

No. 196865, which shows that it was purchased on 9 January 1926 at a cost of 5.0.0 British pounds.

That's extremely helpful. Thank you very much - I will pass that information on to David.

I had 'guessed' by looking at the illustrations in the Lachenal catalogues on the Digital

Concertina Archive, that the price was £4-7-0...

Roger