Alistair Anderson's Concertina On "english International"?

Going to all the trouble of changing the temperament is only worth it if one uses lots of chording. I like using thirds to bulk out dance tunes, somewhat like 'double stopping' on a Fiddle, so for me it is a resonable choice.

Hi Geoff,

I''m not sure if resp. to which extent this particular aspect has already been discussed, but as to using lots of chording, I'd really be interested in 1/5 comma mean tone tuning, as you know (for the time being it's just that I wouldn't like to have my instrument tuned in any way as long as it is in tune).

But what about concerns about spoiling the sound of open fifths, which are - as you know too - quite basic chords in my likewise fiddle-orientated style of playing the EC? Or wouldn't I have to seriously worry about that at all?

Best wishes - Wolf

P.S.: Just noticed it's posting 1111; felt like mentioning after having missed all these repdigits on the speedo... ;)

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Hi Geoff,

I''m not sure if resp. to which extent this particular aspect has already been discussed, but as to using lots of chording, I'd really be interested in 1/5 comma mean tone tuning, as you know (for the time being it's just that I wouldn't like to have my instrument tuned in any way as long as it is in tune).

But what about concerns about spoiling the sound of open fifths, which are - as you know too - quite basic chords in my likewise fiddle-orientated style of playing the EC? Or wouldn't I have to seriously worry about that at all?

Best wishes - Wolf

P.S.: Just noticed it's posting 1111; felt like mentioning after having missed all these repdigits on the speedo... ;)

I once had a neighbour whose registration plate on his Lamborgini was III 111...... he really fancied himself ! :o

However, just a quick answer to your question as I really have to be working just now; in 1/5 Comma the Fifths will 'sing' a little more than in ET... so to compare;

the ET major Fifth is 700 cents appart... a pure Fifth is 702 cents and a 1/5th Comma Fifth is 698 cents. So this means that the Meantone Fifths will be very slightly more narrow and will sing 2 cents more than the ET variety. It is not much and they are not harsh sounding... I'll try to find time to make some recording comparisons.

As a comparison I did a test last weekend , for the Tuning Accuracy topic, regarding octaves. I found that if two notes an octave appart were within one Cent of exactly a doubling of frequency then I could not hear any out of tune-ness. When the notes were 2 cents appart I could detect some inaccuracy. When the notes were 3 cents appart I could determine which note was sharp and which was flat...! I used a Strobe type tuner set to measure to 0.1 of a Cent to determine this and then averaged the differences to the nearest whole cent of clarity in explaination.

I should say that in my day job I have to play instruments that are out of tune for hours on end as I gradually bring them into tune and thus I am ,usually, quite tolerant of 'out of tuneness'.

I did find a good website recently which describes and charts out all the better know Temperaments and one can click back and forth to view the values... I'll try to find it again...............

Edited by Geoff Wooff

[i seem to recall that this Mr. Boyd was a retailer (was it in Liverpool?) commissioning instruments from both Wheatstone and Lachenal, mainly metal ended English in the extended treble range. Apart from having his name in the fretwork it was just that the best craftsmen had been assembling those specimen from the best parts available (at least this seems to be what is assumed today).]

that's about the gist, that and that there is a "boyd" tone, or a tone often associated with the "boyd" instruments....i often prefer this tone, but other times it is "thin" for my taste, but not in a weak way. it is loud and bright ("harmonica" like, perhaps), but "thin loud" rather than my ultimate preference, "fat loud." the model 21s that are exceptionally loud (they aren't all) are more "fat" to my ear. with boyds, i've heard "fat," but often i've heard, loud and bright in a "thin, piercing" way....yes, it cuts through sessions and pub noise, but it's not my favorite...