Playford - Apley House

apleyhousebyuq7.jpg

Re-learned and recorded to my moderate satisfaction for the time being (didn't mangage to slow it further down):

Apley House - thrice trough

As always: any comments appreciated! :)

Best regards, Wolf

Edited to add that David's nice impromptu recording of the tune had been the initial inspiration for going for it...

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Steve, thank you for the response - I'm glad you liked the recording (albeit it's still not a perfect one)! I hope that you, Stuart, will as well like not just the tune... :)

P.S.: The tune is in fact wonderful! Do you have a recording of your own playing it, Stuart? I would love to listen to it, too...

I would be very happy to dance Apley House to Wolf's playing.

As mentioned on the "church modes" thread, I don't know enough to comment on modes.

English country dancers are certainly aware when bands do interesting things with the music, but I think they are not as tuned into musical niceties as musicians might wish. Dancers need and want the music to give them a beat and cues to the dance. In the U.S. (less in England) each English country dance (ECD) is danced to a particular tune; dancers learn to associate the music with particular movement. Musicians also need to give the dancer's lift, often shortening the notes and emphasizing the upbeat.

Here's a video of Apley House played by Bare Necessities, probably the top English country dance band in the US. It plays a mellow sryle not liked by all for dancing. No concertinas, unfortunately. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nQcN03fvrA

Edited by Mike Franch

Edited to add that David's nice impromptu recording of the tune had been the initial inspiration for going for it...

Which David? I don't remember supplying a recording, but I may be wrong. And it may be another David. Can you supply a link? Meanwhile, here's me playing it. I have been playing and dancing to this tune for decades, and I never thought of it as anything other than G major - D major - G major, that is, all straight Ionian major mode, with C#s in the chords of the middle section.

(edited for clarity)

Edited by David Barnert

David, you'll have to face two things having sliipped your memory :D

• Your own recording for the purpose of presenting the then new Beaumont (it's the second video)
  • Our short discussing a second accidental missing and my choice of the Mixolydian mode for the middle B section at that time.
As said, your video provided the intial inspiration for learning the tune to me, and IMO I have retained your bounce and nonetheless adapted it to my own playing.

Back then it was just a Demo recording for the purpose of discussion, and at the moment there is still some need of polishing (no decade-long experience and just one, two days of occasionally rehearsing after having unlearned the tune pretty much for whatever reason, just lost track sometime).

But however, that's the sound I like to squeeze out - and I'm happy about having been able to re-appropriate the tune now... :)

Best wishes - Wolf

P.S.: I had recorded a second Demo the day before which had still been pretty unsettled, but whenever coming back to listening to the two takes I can't avoid the impression of the ornamentation just in the significant bar of the B-part having unfortunately lost it's clarity in the current recording.

Thus I'll have to rework this detail as well; it's a skill of its own not to hasten ornamentations which seems to happen to me frequently (I suppose, when shifting my attention to just another detail or aspect)...

David, you'll have to face two things having sliipped your memory :D

• Your own recording for the purpose of presenting the then new Beaumont (it's the second video)
  • Our short discussing a second accidental missing and my choice of the Mixolydian mode for the middle B section at that time.

Oops. :blink: Indeed, I had forgotten, from that moment until I saw your response. And because it was not a recording I engineered myself there was no trace of it on my computer to remind me when I searched for it. At least I'm still saying the same things about the mode of the middle section.

Stuart has provided his recording as announced...

Stuart, interesting indeed! Firstly I'm not alone in my modal understanding of the B part! For the rest: very different kind of ornamentations (not that there are that much in this particular recording of mine), everything has a very nice Morris dance feel with it as to me! Thank you for sharing!

Thanks Wolf, you beat me to it! Yes, I'm afraid my ornamentation of this tune might be a bit flowery for some tastes...

Not for mine - I am very fond of personal styles (and am happy with anybody having a similar approach to his or her listening) in general and like yours (as turning out some different to mine) in particular too! :)

I like Stuart's version. It does have a nice, bouncy, morris feeling to it. It has a lot of "lift."

That said, it wouldn't be a particularly helpful version for a group of English country dancers actually dancing the dance. They'd like the drive, but I think they'd have a hard time getting the flow they needed.

This is a comment, not a criticism. We play tunes in different ways depending on our purpose and, as with a dance tune (of whatever genre) the needs of our listeners/dancers.

I plan to call Apley House tonight at the Baltimore Folk Music Society's Monday night English country dance, with a great three-piece band (but no concertinas). I'll expect them to provide music that will help people flow into the turn singles and casts (B music), and then give them energy for the lead up, etc. (C music).

Mike (who is grateful for all the versions list members have been providing)

Mike, Dave - I absolutely accept that mine isn't geared towards playing for the figures of the traditional dance that goes with it, so no criticism taken! To be honest I'm also fairly careless about the use of the B music when I play the tune - often its shape ends up being 2A 2B 2C 2B in my hands. :)