Lachenal 48 Button Crane Duet For Sale

SteveP

SOLD - I am selling one of my Crane Duets – I only have one pair of hands, and a concertina like this deserves to be played, not kept in a box. I am selling to fund the purchase of other instruments.

This is a very nice 48 button Lachenal, steel reeds, rosewood ends, bushed metal buttons, six fold black leather bellows, tuned to concert pitch. It looks as if it was restored fairly recently – reeds are clean, valves look new , and the straps are modern.

The serial number is a bit of a mystery. The Left hand end and bellows frame are marked 3008, whereas the right hand end has 2000 on the reed pan and pad board, so possibly a hybrid, but likely to be 80-90 years old.

Whatever, it plays very well, and I have had no problems with it in the four years I have owned it. It was my main concertina until last year, when another came along...The middle E on the RHS sometimes needs an extra bit of puff to get it sounding when you pull, but I seemed to get used to that, or maybe just played a bit louder! You may be able to see in the photos that there is some wear around a few of the buttons, where the top layer of varnish as gone, but other than that it looks pretty good for its age.

It comes with a modern case, oversized, but which could be blocked out to hold it snug.

The price is SOLD. Postage in the UK would be £25, insured. Anywhere else, just ask, and I will try and get a quote.

I will advertise it on here for a month before letting it loose on a well known auction site, but I would rather sell it on here, and make a contribution to c.net.

Thanks for looking

Steve

post-1477-0-47927200-1391093855_thumb.jpg

post-1477-0-42922700-1391093866_thumb.jpg

post-1477-0-28269100-1391093879_thumb.jpg

post-1477-0-05683500-1391093898_thumb.jpg

post-1477-0-37288700-1391093914_thumb.jpg

post-1477-0-49870600-1391093926_thumb.jpg

Edited by SteveP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any luck selling it? I have a 30? button Lachenal, Crane Duet (I think), that I got a few years ago when I thought I might like to try Duet. It just didn't work for me as easily as the English, and I want to sell it as well. But is the market for Duets, especially antique ones, just flat? Would a better way to sell it be like the Button Box on consignment or something?

Patrick

Any luck selling it? I have a 30? button Lachenal, Crane Duet (I think), that I got a few years ago when I thought I might like to try Duet. It just didn't work for me as easily as the English, and I want to sell it as well. But is the market for Duets, especially antique ones, just flat? Would a better way to sell it be like the Button Box on consignment or something?

Patrick

The Duet market seems pretty unpredictable overall, partially since it doesn't have a clear grounding in particular traditions, so depends a lot on individual interest.

I would be interested in hearing more about your small Duet, shot you a PM.

I have a 30? button Lachenal, Crane Duet (I think), that I got a few years ago when I thought I might like to try Duet

You sure about the button count? Before this I haven't heard of Cranes with fewer than 35 buttons. What's the range on each side?

The Duet market seems pretty unpredictable overall, partially since it doesn't have a clear grounding in particular traditions...

Well, it was once popular with the Salvation Army... who renamed it "the Triumph". Playing hymns is admittedly a fairly narrow tradition, though their tutor for the Triumph does include arrangements of other music, mostly classical.

But the Crane/Triumph is a fine general-purpose duet system -- as are the Maccann, Wicki/Hayden, and possibly others, -- and there even exist tutor books, albeit lacking examples of contemporary popular music. But the exercises are good grounding, a decent imagination can do wonders, and there are some fine contemporary players, including singers who use it for accompaniment.

...so depends a lot on individual interest.

Very true.

I have one of those and a 59-button Crane made by Jeffries, so I'm not in the market, but I might try to stimulate the interest of others by noting that the 48-button Crane has an adequate range for most musical purposes, at least up to an intermediate level.

The right hand starts at middle C and rises two fully chromatic octaves, plus D-E-F above that (though without the C# and D# up there). The left hand starts an octave lower and is fully chromatic for an octave and a half, to G above middle C. The overlap of the half octave from middle C to the G above is useful.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Patrick

The Duet market seems pretty unpredictable overall, partially since it doesn't have a clear grounding in particular traditions, so depends a lot on individual interest.

I would be interested in hearing more about your small Duet, shot you a PM.

Hi.

I have a Lach Maccann Duet 46 key. . . . Tuned and padded 4 months ago (believed by C.Algar) with new 6 fold bellows . . . £550 ONO if you are still looking or know anyone.

Also a Lach 28 Button C/G which has new 6F bellows (D.Leese) Tuned and padded (C.Algar) £1100 ONO if you know anyone

Regards

Mike

Edited by Mike Oxtinks