Any Good Videos For Learning Ornamentation?

lxnx

Are there any good videos which teach ornamentation?

I've read many descriptions in text of different types of ornamentation should be performed, and I've seem lots of videos where the performer's fingers are flying over the buttons and clearly adding some ornamentation, but as a newcomer to the concertina, I'm having a lot of trouble matching up the two together.

I guess I just have a lot of trouble going just based on text descriptions!

Ideally it'd be nice to watch something where someone e.g. explains what a roll is, then demonstrates it slowly, then fast to hear what it sounds like in a tune.

Does anything thing like this exist out there?

I don't know if something like that exists. But you might benefit from lots of fiddle (or perhaps whistle) videos which are pretty well explaining the different types of ornamentation.

I agree with BES, in fact I will go one stage further and suggest that, if you are refering to ornaments and grace notes for Irish Music , it would be a good idea to take up the Whistle and learn your grace noting with that instrument . Reason is that these typical gracing styles, like the various Rolls, originate on the Pipes where they are used to emphasis rhythm and phrasing. The Whistle stile of ornaments are practically the same as the Pipes and you don't have to invest too heavily in a gadjet to try them out.

It is difficult to make some of those grace note ornamentations using a keyboard, at least to make them sound anywhere convincingly similar to those made on the Flute, Whistle and Pipes, Unless the internal rhythm of this genre of music is well ensconced.. in your head... easier to do this with a Whistle.

Good luck with your search for Videos,

Geoff.

...you might benefit from lots of fiddle (or perhaps whistle) videos which are pretty well explaining the different types of ornamentation.

While I don't think those would do any harm, various ornaments -- and what are called "rolls", in particular -- seem to be done rather differently on the anglo than on fiddle, whistle, or pipes.

In the past there have been discussions of some of those differences here in the concertina.net Forums. lxnx, are those among the "descriptions in text" that you've already studied? If not, it might be worth searching for them (I use Google's Advanced Search, as the built-in Search facility here often fails miserably), even though they're not videos.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm not sure my other half could cope with me struggling my way through whistle as well as concertina, but I'll certainly be listening more attentively to whistle/pipe tunes and their ornamentation.

I hadn't looked at anything from the OAIM, but I'll definitely take a look soon.

Jim: I mostly looked for the word 'ornamentation' using the forum search bar, but I'll give your suggestion of using google's advanced search a go (and looking for specific types of ornamentation).

This all mostly came up as I'm currently learning from Mick Bramich's tutor book. I've been able to learn many tunes from the book, but when listening to his playing on the accompanying CD, I'm finding it impossible to play the tunes as he does. This is partly because I physically haven't worked out how to produce some of those sounds on the concertina, though I can hear them in my head when I think of the tune (if that makes any sense).