Adding Neck Strap To Old Concertina

I have read some previous threads on this topic but didn't come up with the specific advice I was looking for. I'm quite new to playing English concertina, but have a definite preference for using a neck strap to help keep my hand position consistent while playing. (The fact that I'm also a weaver and always pleased to find a new purpose in life for woven bands is a secondary consideration!) On the Scarlatti I started with, I simply put the thumbstrap screws down through the thumbstrap and the neck strap so the the neck strap was fixed at the same point as the thumbstrap on the top of the instrument and that seemed to work well. However, on my new 1855 wheatstone that isn't going to work as the thumbstrap screws are not long enough to go through the extra thickness of the neck strap and still screw in securely, and I don't want to risk damaging the thread. As a stopgap I have attached the ends of the strap to the metal bars on the ends of the concertina under which the thumbstraps pass. This feels secure and not putting too much strain on a single screw, but attaching to the ends is not ideal.

Would it be reasonable to add an an attachment point on the top next to the thumbstrap screws? If so, how? I believe the thumbstrap screws are not screwed directly into the wood, but into a metal thread embedded in the wood. The strap I am using is about half an inch wide.

I did wonder about the suggestion to put a strap around the ends and attach the strap to that, but I have some doubts that I could make that secure enough, particularly since it would have to go over the large flat heads of the thumbstrap screws.

Since I don't have use for a neck strap I can only comment on one detail: As to my Lachenal EC, the thumbstrap screws had been a critical point due to the amount of pulling I regularly put on them. There were no threads at all, the screws had simply been screwed (just a little bit) into the action board. I decided to drill through the board and applied machine screws with female screws on the inside. Might be a solution for your desire of firmly and safely applying a neck strap as well...

(edited for removal of a typo)

Edited by blue eyed sailor

A single strap that passes behind your neck, and around the concertina ends, worked well for me. I fastened the loops "slip knot" or choker style, so the weight of the concertina tightened the loops. If you could weave a big button hole into each end of your strap to secure the loops, that might be nice.

No damage to the concertina. No drilling holes in it. And it comes off easily. But I'm new at this and may be overlooking something.

Concertina Connection sells a neck cord (see http://www.concertinaconnection.com/neck_cord.htm); you might try it or see if you can use a thin strip under your screw, as this one does.

Unless you play standing or moving around, I don't think this is necessary, although I guess a more accurate statement would be that I don't find it necessary for me. It might be for you!

Spinning woman,

There are a number of solutions, both permanent, and temporary.

The quickest temporary solution is two small cable ties, one through each thumb strap loop to form an anchorage ring which will not damage the strap loop, the strap or wood polish. Then use a camera neck strap clipped to the cable ties.

The best permanent solution is a pair of small inset plates between the action box cover and the pad board casing. located with two holes, one for a split ring to hold a neck strap clip, and the other to thread onto the end bolt nearest the thumb strap adjusting screw.

You are in the UK --whereabouts are you located? I can probably put you in touch with someone who can help

Dave

As others have posted on cnet (and as I've experienced myself) you might think in terms of a shoulder rather than a neck strap. That is, one end rests on your shoulder, then goes under one of your arms to the front. This offers support without straining the neck, especially if you have a heavy instrument. The dynamics of support are a bit different from a neck strap, but some find it more comfortable.

You could use the same sort of strap (personally woven or any kind of a web strap) to do this that you'd use as a neck strap.

Hi all.

I have found one answer which works for me, maybye not for all, but a reading glasses cord with two eyed elastic eyes attached from "Home & Bargain" or other type Pound Shops in UK approx 99p

work well, and if they get broken, just replace them. It does help if you a a good coller on a jumper or shhirt, otherwise find a "weaver" you could make a hollow sleeve for you !.

Regards

Dave

I'm near Exeter in Devon - I'll be going to the WCCP day at Ruishton on Sunday (afternoon only as I'm working in the morning) if it is anyone who might be likely to be there.

I shall be down that way in March for the WCCP event at Kilve court, are you likely to be there?