How Do I Learn How To Tune And Work On Reeds?

I'm a new member of the concertina net and new to the forums. I've been a player of English concertinas for many years and just had what appears to be an old Wheatstone dropped in my lap. I would like to restore it but my biggest fear is tuning or dealing with the reeds in any way. I have plenty of experience keeping my tenon treble aeola alive by cleaning buzzing reeds etc, but no experience overhauling an old instrument like this. I can replace parts I'm sure (with minimal help) and deal with wood issues, but reeds are another thing. How would a guy from Minneapolis learn how to do this?

I fear that this instrument may not be worth it since the reeds appear to be mostly brass with some steel replacements. Can brass and steel reeds coexist and work together or should I bag this project?

Here is the instrument in question.

post-10822-0-82766500-1383411106_thumb.jpg

post-10822-0-49530700-1383411117_thumb.jpg

post-10822-0-49862900-1383411129_thumb.jpg

post-10822-0-15858000-1383411137_thumb.jpg

I'm sure Don Nichols is a nice man and concertina aficionado but I would beware his advice about using a powered grinding wheel.

Please! I repeat: Please!! Keep your concertina's reeds away from an electric powered grinding tool, Dremel, dentist drill etc. I have seen evidence of these tools' use on ruined and compromised concertina reeds in what otherwise would have been fine instruments.

Tuning involves removing reed material. Remove too much and you can compromise a reed's sound, response and integrity. Things can happen quickly, too quickly! with a powered grinding wheel. Personally I only use a file if I am making a reed from raw spring steel.

For tuning purposes I find a little patience and 220 grit sanding paper glued to a wooden tool (See Dave Elliott's "Concertina Repair and Maintenance Manual) more than adequate to the task.

A file, with a deft touch and practice, can work. I suppose a VERY,VERY cautious approach with a grinder "could" be effective. (But why take a chance with the grinder just to save a few seconds per reed?)

Brass reeds are somewhat delicate. A moment's inattention can lead to a fatal bend or fatigue point in a reed. I never recommend a file for brass reeds. If you must tune, stick to the sand paper attached to a narrow, flat surface.

And please put in your research and practice time before working on the intended instrument. Your concertina will thank you.

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

If you want to learn to tune reeds start off with a cheap/free junk accordion and practice on those reeds. Quite likely you will wreck a few as you learn, so starting on something of limited value is a good idea. Accordion reeds are mounted differently from concertina reeds, but the process of raising or lowering pitch is the same.

Accordion reeds are mounted differently from concertina reeds, but the process of raising or lowering pitch is the same.

I presume that the process of tuning concertina reeds -- as noted above by Greg -- can (and should?) also be applied to accordion reeds, and if Theo does tune melodeons and other accordions in that way, I'm glad. But beware of following advice you might find elsewhere on the internet regarding how to tune reeds. I've seen more than one recommendation for "scratching" accordion reeds to make fine adjustments to their pitch. I would never do that to a reed, as it causes structural damage -- however small -- and will likely compromise the long-term stability of the reed or even encourage breakage.

Note that some of our concertinas are not only more than 100 years old, but have been played more or less regularly throughout that century without ever needing a replacement reed. Ever hear of an accordion with that reputation? Could "scratching" be a factor? I can't be sure, but as one song puts it, "A man should never gamble more than he can stand to lose." B)

DoN (as he spells it) Nichols is very adept with machinery; I didn't remember talk of grinding tools in his article, but I expect he could pull off things that might elude most of us. I recall Chris Timson saying Colin Dipper wouldn't want you to use sandpaper either. I guess there are many religions when it comes to this topic, but the principle of "do the least you have to" is common.

I've done accordion reeds, but if I had a nice concertina needing work I'd probably just pay a pro to tune it.

Ken