** Two Exceptional Concertinas For Your Consideration **

Ed Stander

Hi all -

I'm in the process of buying a new home on the back of some of my instruments. I've two, in particular, that might be of interest to someone. The first is a 56 key extended treble Wheatstone Ambonya Aeola concertina (s/n 35615), which places it late in the Wheatstone legers but early in my heart. It has a beautiful sweet voice, and is fast to boot. Aeolas were always the best of the 'tinas, and Amboyna instruments were often the best of the best - and this one is no exception. It was completely overhauled approximately 10 years ago by the Button Box, who tuned, repadded, and cleaned the reeds, and replaced the thumb holds with ones of their own design. The bellows are perfect, and the only signs of wear are some fingernail marks left by a previous owner. I'd like $4000 for the instrument, but are open to offers....

The second instrument is a 48 key metal ended Barotone Aeola (s/n 32821) which recently came to me from the wilds of British Columbia. To be honest, I was shocked when it arrived, as it was in absolutely pristine, unplayed condition - it appeared to have come directly from the Wheatstone shops to my doorstep. The reeds were clean, the pads were perfect, and the thing played in tune right out of the box. They certainly did good work back then in the '30's. To be honest, I don't want to sell this instrument, as I'm not likely to see its kind again - however debts do come first - at least in my wife's mind, so here it is. It cost me $5000 some months ago, and I offer her here for the same, should anyone be so inclined!

If you have any questions on either, or would like to see more pictures, please let me know! Best - Ed

post-401-0-02472000-1379275156_thumb.jpg

post-401-0-50886000-1379275995_thumb.jpg

post-401-0-42194700-1379276017_thumb.jpg

post-401-0-56452600-1379276030_thumb.jpg

Are the frames brass or aluminum? Is the action mechanism riveted or something else?

Serial #32821 in the Wheatstone ledgers is marked "NP", which stands for "nickel plate". I don't believe they ever plated nickel on aluminum, or anything but brass.

The next entry (#32822, a duet), on the other hand, is marked "Dural", which is the aluminum alloy sometimes used for durable concertina ends.

thanks for tryng to help, but i don't understand what you're saying there, and in any event would need data certain from the seller. for the moment, all i need is info from the seller as to what the reed frames of this particular instrument are made of; and what type of mechanism the action has. i guess i'm also looking to confirm that the reeds/tongues are steel rather than brass or so-called "bronze steel." if i'm comfortable with the info on these points, i might then trouble the seller for some photos, and might be very interested in a purchase. but all that is speculative at present. thanks anyway....

Edited by ceemonster

thanks for tryng to help, but i don't understand what you're saying there.....

Oops! I shouldn't have been posting so late at night.

You said "frames" without saying "reed frames", and my foggy brain interpreted that as the fretted ends. You're quite right in asking the seller about the reed frames, since that's a detail I've not seen recorded in the ledgers.

Non-ferrous reed tongues, on the other hand, are (usually?) noted in the ledgers, so I'm fairly certain you'll find that they're steel, though there's certainly nothing wrong with asking to be sure.

Hi folks - sorry for being late in responding. I've received several E-mails re. the baritone and it is well and truly sold (actually sold within the hour of posting). The extended treble Aeola is still looking for a home, and has asked that I lower her price to $3500, to which I reluctantly agree.

By the by, for those who've never corresponded with me - I'm located in upstate New York, birthplace of the shady politician.

Best - and thanks to all - Ed

yet another really icky, negative experience trying to purchase----no--hey, just trying to get basic information or the courtesy of a response regarding an inquiry as to--an instrument listed for sale on this site. time to order new, i think.

Edited by ceemonster

• 3 weeks later...

yet another really icky, negative experience...

Hey! Let's all be friends here.

I've known Ed for many years and can vouch for his being a decent human being. I have no insight into what may have led to this misunderstanding, but I am certain it had nothing to do with ickiness.

I don't know Ed Strander personally but we have corresponded over the years. I have had nothing but positive experiences with him. I have never felt that he was in any way "icky" or misleading. Nothing he said ever struck me as negative. There must have been a misunderstanding somewhere along the line. Or perhaps I am the one not understanding something.

Whatever, this is just to offer some support to anybody who is considering dealing with Ed.

Thanks, Dave and David -

No - i didn't try to do icky things to anyone. I simply placed an advert for a concertina, was contacted by a buyer within 2 hours or so, and spent some time working with him on the purchase. As a result, I missed the exchange going on here. For that I apologise - it happens. Sometimes it's hard to be in two places at once when you're nowhere at all....

In the meantime, and since it has been resurrected, I would still like to sell my abonya extended treble concertina, should anyone be interested. it has a lovely tone, is quick and supple, and has pads, reeds, etc. in excellent condition. If you're interested, please let me know, and don't be alarmed if it takes me 2-3 hours to respond...... $3000.00 + shipping and it's yours.

Best - Ed

Edited by Ed Stander