Jeffries Duet

Paul Read

I always take a look at the new concertinas coming on at 7-days. Just by luck I noticed this very interesting Jeffries Duet (Item #3750425541) that came on on a 5-day cycle. It is appears to be in as-new condition. Anybody know if duets were a large part of Jeffries production?

Your question is a good one, I haven't the least idea, but I would like to know myself.

Actually, I'm quite excited by this instrument, the reason being the bit in the text that says:

It was known to have been played in a Liverpool marching band,presumably in the late 20's and has a number stamped under the hand strap  1.23.Probably to do with the band...it may have been owned by the band.

My Jeffries 45 button G/D anglo (the one reputed to have belonged to Fred Kilroy) has, in exactly the same position, the number 2.23. It would seem that I have found a snippet of the past history of my concertina - certainly a Liverpool location for my instrument would tie up with Fred Kilroy owning it, since he came from Lancashire. Apart from the fact that it has, I think, 56 buttons compared to my 45, the two concertinas are as alike as two peas in a pod.

Chris

Was the duet a favourite for these kinds of bands?

The Orange bands in Liverpool have tended to be almost exclusively of anglos. A duet would have been unusual, but the Jeffries duet was designed as a system suitable for anglo players (you don't see a lot of them, but they are much more common than English-system concertinas, or other kinds of duet, made by Jeffries).

I always thought it was the English

The English was used by the best-known bands who played in competitions, employing instruments in various keys and ranges, to play from band parts. However, anglos were also made for bands, ranging from piccolo to bass, but they are rarely encountered.

(maybe that was just the Sally Army) Didn't the SA also use a type of duet - the 'Triumph'

Actually, most Salvationist concertinists (couldn't resist stringing those two words together ! :) ) played anglos, often in Ab/Eb to go with their brass instruments. The English was second in popularity and the Triumph (aka Crane) duet came only third.

Actually, most Salvationist concertinists (couldn't resist stringing those two words together !  :) ) played anglos, often in Ab/Eb to go with their brass instruments. The English was second in popularity and the Triumph (aka Crane) duet came only third.

But it is true that the Sally Army -- or at least certain influential members thereof -- conceived of the Crane/Triumph duet concertina as the ideal instrument for hymn accompaniment. (It's generally acknowledged -- though I'll still ask Stephen, "Is it true?" -- that the "Triumph" name for the system came from the Salvation Army.) From the INTRODUCTORY NOTES of the Salvation Army TUTOR FOR THE TRIUMPH CONCERTINA:

The Triumph Concertina has now come to be generally regarded as the finest instrument on the market for Salvation Army usage.  This foremost position it has gained by virtue of its excellent qualities and the possession of unique features.  Prominent among the latter is the keyboard, which is so constructed as to make possible the rendering of accompanied duets on the one instrument with greater facility than with any other make.

And I suspect that the mix of different types varied over time. After all, the English and anglo were in use for years before the Crane/Triumph was invented.

"Edited" because my incomplete text was posted when I hit CAPS LOCK the second time. And they want us to trust computers for voting?!!

Edited by JimLucas

I once owned this Jeffries Duet and the information about a connection with a Liverpool band came from Neville Crabb, from whom I bought it c1983.

Thank you. I shall follow this up since this so clearly has a bearing on the past of my concertina. We know so little about the history of these instruments that for me to be able to put in another link in this way is great!

Chris

I suspect that the mix of different types varied over time.  After all, the English and anglo were in use for years before the Crane/Triumph was invented.

Exactly ! Photographic evidence would seem to suggest that they used mainly anglos in the 19th century. The Crane duet seems to have only come into use after WWI, but the sole Salvationist duet player I have ever encountered (marching up my street in East London, years ago) appeared to be playing a Maccann.

(It's generally acknowledged -- though I'll still ask Stephen, "Is it true?" -- that the "Triumph" name for the system came from the Salvation Army.)

It did indeed, "Triumph" was the brand name used by the Salvation Army on all the brass instruments that they used to manufacture. For that matter "Crane" is only the name of the Liverpool firm who seem to have acquired the inventor's rights to the system, the name of the inventor, on the Patent, was Butterworth.

I once owned this Jeffries Duet and the information about a connection with a Liverpool band came from Neville Crabb, from whom I bought it c1983.

Thank you. I shall follow this up since this so clearly has a bearing on the past of my concertina. We know so little about the history of these instruments that for me to be able to put in another link in this way is great!

Chris

Chris, suggest you contact Geoff Crabb who may have some idea...

Regards

Malcolm

I read a lovely bit about competitions for marching bands (kazoo bands as we would know them now) around West Yorks before the 1930s, where they had rudimentary or home-made instruments and uniforms and were marked on their marching etc.

Anglo concertinas were banned from these competitions as the bands got a ringer in and the players were that good that the marching band invariably won just on the strength of the anglo player.

ICA newsletters show that there were around twenty or so of these concertina bands in Liverpool in the late 1960s. The 'big parade' for Northern concertina bands seems to have been held in Southport. Its a fertile area for research, with much within living memory.

good luck ..wes