Odd English On Ebay

Daniel Hersh

http://www.concertinamuseum.com./CM00231.htm

this one appears in the Concertina Museum. When I first saw the Museum concertina I thought that it may have had 'replacement ends' fitted by someone!!

The action in the Concertina Museum site concertina has an action that is not the more common type found in Rock Chidley concertinas - they may have been experimental or 'cheap'.

I haven't seen the action in the ebay concertina but I would be surprised if it was different.

Given the style and address label it would think it an early concertina

chris

like buses - you don't see one for ages then a number turn up at once :wacko:

It's a bit like songs - you find an old song to sing, one that's no longer popular and you think that you're reviving a song and then..................you find that 3 other people have the same idea with the same song :(

this must be to do with some sort of racial memory or mind link :ph34r:

chris (puzzled)

Wouldn't it more likely be the principle of "sympathetic magic", where "like influences like"? I.e., you use the presence of a particular object to attract or produce something else that's the same or similar. E.g., that's the assumption behind voodoo dolls.

It's just that in these instances (tinas & songs) there's no deliberate attempt to invoke the principle. An example where the influence isn't (can't be) deliberately called upon is the folk superstition that "found money means more to come".

Hmm. If that really works, maybe when you go looking in thrift shops for that £10 mint condition Jeffries you should carry with you the super bargain your friend got. (Borrow, please; don't steal. B))

Wouldn't it more likely be the principle of "sympathetic magic", where "like influences like"? I.e., you use the presence of a particular object to attract or produce something else that's the same or similar. E.g., that's the assumption behind voodoo dolls.

It's just that in these instances (tinas & songs) there's no deliberate attempt to invoke the principle. An example where the influence isn't (can't be) deliberately called upon is the folk superstition that "found money means more to come".

Hmm. If that really works, maybe when you go looking in thrift shops for that £10 mint condition Jeffries you should carry with you the super bargain your friend got. (Borrow, please; don't steal. B))

Yes, but if it works, better only to tell it to a small circle of firends ;-) . As you are talking about magic, for the persons interested I have investigated a lot about the in famous Book of St. Cyprian, as here in Galicia it was very popular for finding treasures. Here you are a link to an article in english that was translated for Dan Harm's blog "Papers falling from an attic window", http://danharms.wordpress.com/the-books-of-saint-cyprian/ . Perhaps i have to begin to make a Jeffries Voodo Doll ;-). I have other things in internet but in galician and spanish language. I have a nice collection of grimoires too, all related with the Book of St. Cyprian.

Edited by felix castro

• 1 month later...