Background information about Concertina

Hello everyone,

I am doing a huge project for my World Music class, and I decided to discuss Celtic music. As one of the instruments, I included the Celtic Concertina. Unfortunately online and in the library I can not find any books to give information about this instrument. I was wondering if anyone knew its origins and how it came about being such a pivotal instrument in Celtic music history.

Also I have to have an interview (which I ask several questions) from a Celtic music player, so if you would be interested please post it here also so I can have an interview from the true players of this genre of music.

God Bless

If you could possibly read through most of the topics on this site you would gain as much knowledge as you could need. Expecting a book on the subject might be a wish too far. Pivotal, the Concertina might be, in the opinion of many here, but a definate sub-culture resident also.

In County Clare, where traditional Irish music still gets two (or more) hours 'air time' on the local radio each evening and concertinas are a well known instrument, you might find an attitude of normality regarding the instrument.

Dan Worrall (of this site) has written a book which I am sure is very insightfull.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Hello everyone,

I am doing a huge project for my World Music class, and I decided to discuss Celtic music. As one of the instruments, I included the Celtic Concertina. Unfortunately online and in the library I can not find any books to give information about this instrument. I was wondering if anyone knew its origins and how it came about being such a pivotal instrument in Celtic music history.

Also I have to have an interview (which I ask several questions) from a Celtic music player, so if you would be interested please post it here also so I can have an interview from the true players of this genre of music.

"Celtic" music isn't really a genre. There's Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Breton etc. (all cultures that have Celtic languages) but they all have their own musical traditions. The only one of them with much of a concertina tradition is Irish music. but even there I wouldn't say that concertina has been a "pivotal" instrument historically. Instead, I'd say that it's been important at some times and in some regions of Ireland, especially in County Clare in recent decades as mentioned by Geoff. As Geoff said, Dan Worrall is a good source of information on this, and you can find his article on the subject here on his web site.

As one of the instruments, I included the Celtic Concertina.

This sounds like a fun project. Note, however, that the kind of concertina you're interested in is called the "Anglo" concertina. Some of the places to look that other c.net members recommended will lead you to discussions of the Anglo. The name goes back to the history of concertina development and doesn't refer to the type of music that one plays on it. You could play Irish music on any of the other systems of concertina, but I understand that in Irish traditional circles, almost everybody (even more than almost everybody) plays the Anglo.

Thank you everyone for the quick replies! Very helpful and I am working on this project with great passion and taking my time to learn and appreciate the music, as I am also expanding on the fiddle, tin whistle, and much more!

Best Regards,

Sam

Sam, send me a private message. I can connect you with resources or citations if you need them or serve as an interview subject. I am an academic by trade and a concertina player to boot, so I am well versed in both fields. I can provide a lot of citeable resources on Irish music that you would probably never find on your own, especially about the pipes and concertina. I would just need a better idea about the assignment and rubric to help steer you to appropriate resources.

Sam, send me a private message. I can connect you with resources or citations if you need them or serve as an interview subject. I am an academic by trade and a concertina player to boot, so I am well versed in both fields. I can provide a lot of citeable resources on Irish music that you would probably never find on your own, especially about the pipes and concertina. I would just need a better idea about the assignment and rubric to help steer you to appropriate resources.

will do right now! thank you